Vintage Vibro Champ: replacement speaker vs. bigger cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by offthiscentury, Dec 7, 2016.

1. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

Hi all,

I've got a nice little '68 Vibro Champ that I am looking to upgrade. I don't want to do anything I can't undo, so I was looking for opinions on how to get a bigger sound out of it. To be clear, I'm not really looking for more volume, but rather something that sounds less "choked."

I was thinking of either replacing the original speaker with a Weber 8A125 or moving the amp into a larger cabinet ala the mojotone 1x12 cabinet seen here: http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/...e-Guitar-Amplifier-1X12-Combo-Speaker-Cabinet

Any thoughts or experience with either?

thanks!

2. soulohio

soulohio Member

I put the Weber in mine. I eventually sold the amp.
    they are always going to have a constricted sound. The Weber is louder.
    These old Champs are cool and have a fine sound if you have a studio.
    They have a gawdlyke tremelo... iconic and musical.
    But you can\t get too crazy with them - they
    dont work live or for practice...
    just good for futzing around with

3. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

Thanks for the reply-- did you find the Weber to be an improvement in the actual tone of the amp over the original speaker or just an increase in volume? Futzing around with it and maybe a little home recording is all I'm looking to do, so I'm not worried about it being able to keep up in a live setting or anything like that.

4. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

I think the beauty of a VC is that it's a small tube amp for practice, recording, or quiet solo gigs.

If you want it more deep and full sounding, you can solder up an RCA-to 1/4" speaker cable pretty easily and plug it into a cabinet. It'll be a little louder.

I have a Weber P8Q in mine and it sounds great, definitely an improvement over the stock Fender speaker.

5. pcutt

pcutt Member

I have a 1948 Magnatone Varsity which is similar to the Fender Champ (5W, 8" speaker). I put a Weber C8RS in it (per phone chat with Ted Weber) and it improves the actual tone over the original speaker a bit but Ted recommended it so that it would very close to the original. I don't really notice any increase in volume. I also modded the speaker cable so I can drive the internal 8" speaker or an external one. With my Bogner Cube (12") the "choked" sound is gone and it really roars!

6. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

I put a Jupiter 8" in my 68 VC and it made a huge difference. Louder and more present/articulate. I actually have that MojoTone cab coming too - I'll report back after getting it setup. I have hopes it will allow the amp to be usable for a small church gig I have.

TELECOLLECTOR and Darkburst like this.
  7. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

Also, the 8A125 is a great speaker FWIW. My dad has one in his 70s Champ.

665 likes this.
  8. Khromo

Khromo Supporting Member

A 1968 model should have a "floating" (bolted in place, not really floating) baffle. You can very easily remove the original baffle and speaker, build a new baffle for a 10" speaker, and install a 3.2 or 4 ohm Weber 10F125, and accomplish most of what you are looking for without any permanent, non-reversible alterations.

You'll want to slide the new driver installation a couple of inches toward the preamp side of the amp, so the larger driver will fit next to the trannies and tubes.

A 10" driver, all things being equal, will sound a lot different from any 8" speaker, even the flavor-of-the-month Jupiter!!!

Stick a clean boost, or maybe a mild overdrive in front of that amp, maybe a reverb pedal, and it is different animal. Have fun!!!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  9. Alvis

Alvis Member

I use my Champs live when I have to ,but they're a little tweaked for tone ......because tone is in the amp ,not the fingers
    hahahahaha

GA20T, Agiknee, paulitk and 2 others like this.
  10. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

Thanks for the info! I hadn't considered that speaker, but I will look into it!

11. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

That's good info to have, thanks! So it sounds like a 5W amp shouldn't have any trouble pushing a 12" speaker?

12. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

Cool, I'll look into those Jupiter speakers. I hadn't heard of them before. That sounds like just what I'm looking for-- when I kick on a fuzz or my sd-1, it's pretty much all mids and sounds really unpleasant. I'm looking for something that can handle all frequencies better than the stock speaker.

Please do let me know what you think of that cab! I've had my eye on them for a while, but haven't really seem much written about them by people who have actually used them.

13. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

You know, I was actually thinking that a 10" speaker might be just about right for what I'm looking for! I didn't know that about the baffle being easily removed. thanks!

14. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

Nice! Is that you? If so, great playing and tone! I love the sounds that are coming out of that head/cab combo!

15. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

I put a 8A125-O in my '68 VC. It was a big improvement over stock but still boxy. This one time at bandcamp I plugged it into a 4x12 Marshall cab. Yes, certainly yes, it was better again. Impractical but sounded good.

16. pcutt

pcutt Member

What matters is the impedance (8 ohms for me) and not physical dimensions. That is the key.

17. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

Weber speakers and Silverface fenders go together like turkey n gravy

offthiscentury likes this.
  18. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

I don't mind a little box-yness, just looking for any improvement in tone, really. Thanks!

19. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

So as I understand it, it's ok to run my 4ohm vibro champ into an 8ohm speaker? While it may not yield the best possible sound, it won't hurt anything?

20. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I've put a Jupiter 8sc into a tweed Champ and a Gibson ga5 RI. It is a much bigger sounding speaker! Sounds more like a 12" with a lot of texture and a much broader EQ than most 8's. Phenomenal sounding speaker!