Vintique Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sinner, Jul 16, 2008.

1. sinner

sinner Member

Saw this on ebay, a Vintique Thinline Tele, made by Danny Gatton's former guitar tech. The bridge pickup was handwound by Jay at Vintique.

Looks nice, maybe the fretboard is a little light--may be normal for Pao Ferro, what do you think?

Anyone have or have played something similar? I've not heard of Vintique before (but I don't get out much).

I was considering jumping on this but took my ant-acids (GAS) this morning and feel pretty under control.

link:
    [​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220255806690&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:pIC&ih=012

2. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

It is true that Jay builds teles and has a company called vintique....However I have never seen him build anything other than direct Danny clones with bardens and blonde finishes....I am no expert but this could be a parts guitar with vintique parts...

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

My thought, too.

4. sinner

sinner Member

Man, that TV Jones neck pickup may sound nice--what 'ya think?

Here's what the seller's blurb says:

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am owner number four, and per the second owner - who got this info from the original owner - this guitar was built by Danny Gatton's former guitar tech, and the wide neck is a Pao Ferra(sp?) board with jumbo frets and a fairly flat radius. The bridge pickup was hand-wound by Jay at Vintique and the neck pickup is an older TV Jones Filtertron. It has a stainless steel Vintique bridge, compensated Vintique brass saddles and their V/T knobs which are very nice. The third owner, from whom I acquired this guitar, chimed in to verify that it also has the Vintique neck kit installed"

[/FONT]

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Do a little search on Vintique and Jay Monterose here and there, especially over at the TDPRI.

I can't think of any name more associated with broken promises and unearned funds.
    I suppose if you kept the guitar's provenance under wraps after buying and it was uncanny, you might have been the only one bidding and score something for next to nothing.

I'd really rather spend my money somewhere else. Chihoe Hahn comes to mind; a guy once associated with Monterose who has gone way beyond the call of duty to help some of Jay's former customers who were stranded.

Bubbanov

6. Dave Orban

On the other hand, at the right price, this could be a good deal, and it's not as if Monterose is benefitting from this...

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Jay's done plenty besides Danny/blonde clones but this one sure looks like a Warmoth with some Vintique parts. He generally would not build something with a fancy top like that on his own. Jay would have put a Vintique decal on it if he wanted it represented as a Vintique and he almost always puts a fingerboard dot on the first fret position as a "signature".

OTOH, it is possible he assembled the guitar as a side job. Without documentation however, I'd be leary of paying much of a premium over any other partscaster (albeit with excellent parts).

8. sinner

sinner Member

Like I said, I've not heard of Jay or Vintique and I do not know the seller. The guitar looks like a nice build, I asked seller for weight and he said about 7 1/2 pounds and has no issues or repairs.

I'm tempted, for what it is (or appears to be). It's a used guitar, so it's not like I would send it in to Jay for service or anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice looking headstock too.

9. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

I owned this guitar once upon a time. I have never interacted with Jay but whatever issues people may have had with him, this machine is excellent (or at least it was when I owned it. It looks like it hasn't changed but I don't know its subsequent history). The neck is a Warmoth that is professionally finished and the frets were done right. The Vintique Neck Kit is installed in the pocket, and all of the cool Vintique hardware like the bridge and extra-thick neck plate were awesome. I was really tempted to pilfer that hardware when I sold it.

I have a lot of teles and I thought the bridge pickup sounded really great. Plenty of twang with no ice pick. The neck humbucker wasn't my cup of tea, but they never are in teles. I have only met one neck humbucker that I liked in a tele, and it was a mini-hum in a Vinetto that I recently sold that was not entirely a traditional tele design. If you ordinarily like the sound of a neck pickup in a tele I think you'd like this.

If it hasn't been changed since I had it, that guitar is definitely on par with a lot of boutique teles out there that cost a lot more. I thought about buying it again but I will resist.

Incidentally, I know nothing of the seller. I participated in a public discussion a few weeks ago on here about this guitar. I don't know if the seller is the same person who owned it then.

10. sinner

sinner Member

Thank you Mr. Munky for sharing the info you know.

What is "Vintique Neck Kit installed in the pocket"? Some kind of shim?

11. Dave Orban

They countersink machine "nuts" into the neck, enabling the use of machine bolts to hold the neck on, instead of the standard wood screws... Some argue that it provides a tighter neck joint, others just like it because you can easily remove the neck, for example, to pack the guitar in your luggage for air travel, etc... never have to worry about stripping out the wood in the neck...

I had Jay do it to a partscaster of mine several years ago, and I thought it worked great.

12. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

No, it's a system of metal threaded studs that are securely fixed in the place of the neck holes and matching bolts. Supposedly this system increases sustain. I have a comparable setup on a Rick Kelly Strat and the sustain is what I'd expect from any strat.

More importantly it allows you to screw and unscrew the neck ad nauseam without wearing out the threads. Quite handy if you ask me. If this mod were more regularly available I would probably have it done to all of my bolt on guitars with vintage truss-rod designs.

13. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

The Vintique neck kit is using a heavier stainless back plate, stainless steel machine screws and threaded inserts to attach the neck (rather than wood screws). The idea is to give a stronger connection (with a bit more mass) AND to facilitate taking off the neck (and putting it back on) repeatedly for travel.

I have one on my Nobles Clemcaster...and love it.

14. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I have a Vintique bridge and my tele and is a work of art.

Jay hisself is a work of another kind, but this guitar looks tre cool.

15. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I too have a few Vintique parts on my tele and they are first rate (saddles and knobs) But I have heard all sorts of negative stuff about this guy Jay.

16. DonM

DonM Member

oops! my bad!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  17. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Okay, I'll fess up. I posted the auction for this guitar, which I acquired out of The Gear Page Guitar Emporium. After digging a little deeper into my PayPal history, it looks like I bought it from the good MrMunky in February of 2007, and if I recall correctly, he got it from another Gear Page forumite. Other than strings, absolutely nothing has changed on this guitar, and the information quoted from my auction all came to me from previous owners.

I know nothing of Jay other than what I've read about him on this forum, but respectfully submit his reputation has nothing to do with me selling this guitar. Mr Munky and others have since stated, this is not some cheap knock-off, and I did try to answer mudslide's questions as best I could. That being said, the guitar is still for sale and will be listed in the Emporium before I re-list on eBay. Plenty of pictures available at WebShots.

18. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

PM sent...

19. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I do recall that JM built up some parts guitars, which he sold for considerably less than those built entirely by hand. It's probably a great guitar, and a great player for the price -- it's just too bad it's built by a scumbag.

20. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I have played Jay Monterose's Telecasters before. If that was a regular Telecaster made by Jay I would probably hit it right now. But it is a thinline without a pickguard.