Vintique

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by tradarama, May 15, 2006.

1. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

Anyone have their address? I'd like to stop by and see their operation.

2. moozak

moozak Silver Supporting Member

i think it's on their web site :rolleyes:

3. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

Sure enough, go stand by "Box 12" and watch all the happenings ;)

4. matte

matte Senior Member

Last word I heard, Jay was in Jersey. I would politely ask for an invite before presuming that a pop in was cool.

Vintique
    Box 12
    Bergenfield, NJ 07621
    (201) 926-0636 M-F 10a - 6p EST
    jay@vintique.com

5. moozak

moozak Silver Supporting Member

i meant "the info"... including the phone number.:D ... but standing by "box 12" might get a little attention... no?

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Same for me! And I pre-paid in full, the fool that I am. After many calls, and a couple of responses that it was "on the way", he wore me down and I kinda gave up. Sad, very sad. AC

7. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Geez, isn't this guy in jail or the hospital yet?

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Yikes, I guess it just may be a good idea for Jay if you call first!

Hope it works out for you guys.
    M.E.

9. tradarama

He never returns calls.

PS Does he still have the mullett?

PSS Is he still trying to make a living by pimping the late Danny G's name?

10. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I'm amazed the guy isn't in jail. He sure as hell should be.

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I've met Jay a number of times, I have some of his parts, and he worked on my Tele several years ago. I like him personally but there is no doubt he is a case study on how (inadvertently or otherwise) to destroy the value of a name and small business. That being said, in my view he is not "pimping" the late great Danny G's name because Danny G trusted and worked with him while he lived and from all accounts I don't believe for a moment Danny would have begrudged him the right to use Danny as a reference be he dead or alive.

12. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Jon S is right. Jay has done superb work on a couple of my guitars and I've never had a problem. I realize others have and that's regrettable.

13. fatback

fatback Member

Here's my '01 Warmouth tele with Vintique hardware. I sent Jay the wood, some pickups for him to rewind, and some cash. Five months later he sent me back this guitar, assembled with his neck kit installed and all set up to play. I was happy with the way it came out and played it as my main guitar for the next couple of years. Since then it has furthar mutated, with a trio of Harmonic Designs pickups, a pickguard , and a five-way switch.
    [​IMG]
    After I got my guitar, I started hearing some of the horror stories. My sympathy goes out out to those that never got their orders filled. At the time, Jay's products were more unique on the market. These days, there is a lot more competition...

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I bought some parts and I had him do the neck kit install on a Warmoth neck I had a couple of years back, and he turned it around in about a week.

So, while I have heard the horror stories, my experience was quite the opposite.

15. tradarama

I purchased the so called late 50s tuners that I was going to install on my '58 ES335. Well they were double line with single ring...hummmm...$365 to Jay. Called and he said..."send 'em back". Well I did 18 months ago. He never sent the money. Nice!

16. Don L

Don L Member

That sucks... He seemed like a real nice guy when I met him back in '96 at Southworth's shop...

17. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I'm out the $200+ that I sent also about 2 1/2 years ago for a tele bridge and neck set. My sense is that Jay has 'management' problems, and is his own worst enemy. An affable guy when you speak with him, but he cannot get his business act together. I'd almost feel sorry for him if so many weren't out so much money. AC

18. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

The website is running but e-mails have bounced bask as undeliverable. Does anyone know how Callaham's early 50's heavy knurled knobs compare to the Vintique/Gatton knobs? I'm only talking size & knurl pattern. I know Callahams quality is superb. I really liked the knobs on my old Gatton Tele and what to get something similar for my Suhr T.

Not to derail the thread but I'm curious. A coworker & I are thinking of making a small batch of Tele bridges that would retrofit an American Series Tele bridge to a vintage style. Similar to Callaham but adding the the two extra side bends which he doesn't/won't offer. I work at a precision fabrication shop doing all the engineering/CAD/machine programming so I have access to all the equipment.;) What do all you TGPers think people would prefer plated steel or stainless steel like Vintique? I'm planning on making it with the notch on the high E side.

Joe

19. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Do it Joe! That's exactly the product I ordered from him. I eventually got a Callaham version which is nice, but misses that vintage look and feel. Your's sounds like the perfect solution, and I would buy it. As far as material? Which would conduct a higher degree of vibration or resonance through to the wood? Which would be thinner (which I think would be better)? On one hand, I prefer nickel finishes, and on the other, stainless is so worry free, so it comes down to function for me. Let me know, and I'd be happy to beta test for you when you have prototypes. Without Vintique, the window is wide open for such a product. Regards, AC

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

My tech (Phil Jacoby) easily drilled the two extra holes in my stock Fender bridge and notched the high E side as per the Vintique one. Easy and cheap.

This is just my view, I appreciate that others' opinions differ. To me, stainless steel for a Tele bridge, unless maybe if it's a Barden-style PUP, is worth than useless - it hurts your tone. I tried the Vintique bridge for a while, then went back to my stock cheapo stamped ferrous bridge. That's what a real Tele should have and sound like.