Violet Muff tones (SUF/BA/?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brain21, Mar 9, 2015.

1. brain21

brain21 Member

So I really like the sound of the violet ram's head muff (over the regular rams head), but I like the mid range of the triangle.

I had looked at a bunch of Fuzzes in the past for this, and had settled on the Anarchy Audio Vagiant. The problem is, as I found out, they don't make it any more. There is the Vajanus, but it sounds fairly different to my ears (via YouTube, or course). It has a bit too much of that muddy Supro fuzz sound that I don't like. :(

So, I'm looking for a Violet Rams head that I can adjust the mids with, or one that has less scooped mids that "normal."

I like the sound of the SUF Violet Rams Head, except the mids. I was thinking the Violet Menace may do the trick. But the Basic Audio Tri/Ram sounds really good too. Didn't really like the W&C ones. Definitely looking under $200 incl. shipping.

Any other options to look at that have that low, percolating grind that a violet rams head has? Anyone have both the Basic Audio Tri/Ram and the SUF Violet Menace that can comment on the difference in tone? The BA Alter Destiny maybe? Any difference between the newer Basic Audio tri/Rams and the older gold colored ones?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Stomp Under Foot gets a lot of love from Muff-heads, because Matt Pasquerella apparently knows what makes a great Big Muff and he's more interested in delivering a great sounding Muff that doesn't break the bank.

FWIW, I love my Hellephant, which is his take on the Fuzz Face.

3. brain21

brain21 Member

Yeah, I just wish I could hear the Violet Menace on youtube or something. There are videos of the Violet Rams head, but not the Menace with the Mids control. The Basic Audio Alter-Destiny sounds great, so right now those 2 are kinda the leaders of the pack in my decision. The Green Carrot Pumpkin Pi sounds really interesting. The Russian side is meh to me, but the OpAmp side, even though it is fairly different from say a Ram or Triangle sounds particularly good in that pedal. Perhaps that is a follow-up purchase in the future. :) There was one other that I found in my search that I liked and now I can't remember which one it was :( The Mach pedal was nice, but more than I wanted to spend IIRC.

4. Jack Fossett

Jack Fossett Member

Hey, I see this is a bit older, but just in case, I did a demo back in Spring of the Violet Ram's Head -

Great pedal, the mids knob really helps it cut when playing live. Hope thats helpful!

Cheers
    Jack