violin sustain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tacoma5050, Oct 11, 2006.

1. tacoma5050

tacoma5050 Member

2. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

wow that guy's bends are gettin outa tune.

I don't see it as being that great of sustain, just heavy distortion. His notes were dying out pretty quickly...probably lack of any tube gain/feedback.

Biggest effect seems to just be the volume swells...run a slow delay through a cranked tube amp, and it'd be much more realistic.

3. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

You can always cheat and go for something like a Ross Compressor in conjunction w/ the distortion/fuzz/overdrive.

To me, nothing beats a cranked tube amp w/ a well setup guitar.

4. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

5. tacoma5050

tacoma5050 Member

Dang, now that is some sustain!:dude My Les Paul does not do that though my c30 amp with gain even at 10 and master vol at 3. :( Are you sure there's not a pedal in there:confused:

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Over a minute of sustain? That's gotta be some kind of feedback or an e-bow. Speaking of which, ebows are great for violin sounds, as are learning to use your guitar volume knob for swells while playing, volume pedal, slow delay helps as mentioned, Ross-type compressor helps... For my hammond organ sounds and to make the POG sound a little more lo-fi, I have a Walco Chord & Note Sustainer, which is like a feedbacker sort of, so once a note or chord blooms, it starts feeding back to where it hangs around longer (still not a freakin' MINUTE!!).

The E-H HOG has a "hold" feature that will keep a chord/note going as long as you hold the expression pedal down (and you can play over it).

Barber Tone Press is also recommended around here for a lot of sustain, but I haven't had the opportunity to try one personally.

Any solution besides the ebow or maybe installing a Fernandez Sustainac system in your neck pickkup will be aided greatly by turning your amplifier up some.

7. whowasthursday

whowasthursday Member

hehe, yeah... somehow that clip seems like a joke.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

That guy's got some serious chops.

9. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Didn't Jimmy Page use something like that live? I thought I remember watching a video where he held a pedal down as a chord rang out, then he added leads over it.

10. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

No pedal Tacoma, just Gibson Les Paul plugged into a Soldano SLO. I am playing through the overdrive channel on the SLO.

Mike

11. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

No joke man, this IS just Les Paul and Soldano. Soldano's have a nice sustain with a sweet spot if you nail the note and hold it and stand with your guitar in position. You don't have to hump the speakers either like I used to with my Marshall rig.

Gary Moore used Soldano's and did the same thing. The proof is in the pudding my friend. Judge by my clip and this Gary Moore clip and go out and try a Soldano and you will know what I'm talking about. :BEER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v6U4pNzyUE

Mike

12. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

gary moore and parisienne walkaways.. 30 seconds of sustain.. awesome!!

13. Medication

Medication Member

Perhaps doing a Sound on Sound function on his Echoplex?

14. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

:BEER

Mike