"Violin-Tone" & "Singing Sustain"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jpervin, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jpervin

jpervin Member

Do the terms in the subject line refer to the sound(s) that some overdrive, distortion and/or fuzz pedals are capable of?
    If so, please name some pedals that are good at this.
    Thanks! :)

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Strat bridge pickup w/ tone rolled down
    Fulltone 69 or similar fuzz pedal
    A good, warm delay set to one short repeat
    Marshall or similar amp

Easy.

3. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

I can get that sort of tone off a Big Muff with the gain set low

4. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Wampler Cranked AC through a deluxe Reverb. Doesn't do it much through my other amps.....:huh

Scarab Deluxe

Fixed wah I front of most overdrives especially in wet dry stereo rigs

5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Eric Johnson and Gilmour both swear by the Tube Driver for that tone description, although Gilmour seems to have started using effectrode's stuff more these days. I think they even have a direct quote from EJ on the Butler website saying something to the effect of "This pedal is what gives me that violin-like sustain...."

6. kerrmedia

kerrmedia Member

I just got the butler pedal, but I'm not using it correctly with the way I'm using my vox. Have to try it with my Marshall. Agree the 69 pedal is great with Marshall superleed.

7. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    When I think of the "Violin Tone" the Eric Clapton live version of Crossroads originally done in the 1960's (I believe) is what I hear in my head. It's the one the radios used to play when it was new. Also Duane Alman's lead in Hoochie Coochie Man from the second Alman Brothers album, Idlewild south.

There are other examples, but those stand out.

It is my favorite tone, but somehow, I don't feel that I have achieved it, even after trying since I heard Clapton's version.

The pedals I have found that give me the closest I have come to getting a violin tone is the Mad Professor Simble, and a Tim. I play through a Marshall, and a Diezel, but not at the same time.

For singing sustain, I like a lot of different players, but the first one that comes to mind is David Lindley, playing on Jackson Browne albums through his Dumble.

I cannot hear myself like an objective listener does while I am actually playing, so I don't know how close or far I am from the violin tone in reality. The singing sustain imho is far easier to obtain then the violin tone. However, not being able to hear myself objecively while I play, trying to capture the violin tone in a bottle is like a donkey pulling a cart while chasing a carrot dangled in front of him.

I would love to know how to capture the violin tones in my head, and get them instantaneously. I know that power tube saturation does play a part in it. For all I know, I could already be getting it and just not knowing that I am.

8. ArchDukeOfTops

ArchDukeOfTops Member

You may already know this, but start with the hi and low eq knobs all the way down, and dial them back in to taste. EJ uses them all the way down.

9. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

The Skreddy LMMD will give you Spinal Tap you can go out and get a bite and it will still be going "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" like sustain...if it were plugged in.

The Pig Mine will do the same in a muff variant as opposed to fuzz.

But don't even look at it. Don't even point.

10. 100JH

100JH Member

Effectrode PC2A into Skreddy Giant Meat Pie 239 gets the sustain and somewhat violin tone. (Can't wait to get my Laney L5T-112 !!!)

But I would rather get the tone from Bach Cello Suite 1.1 Prelude as played by Yo Yo Ma on Master and Commander, opposed to the violin tone.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  11. gigs

gigs Member

A violin, rosin, really good microphone, DI to FoH.

12. 100JH

100JH Member

Cornish makes that, or?

13. Kluch

Kluch Member

mojohand fx iron bell... does the trick pretty well

14. rummy

rummy Member

ES-335, Seth Lover neck pickup into a Boogie.

15. kerrmedia

kerrmedia Member

Sort of remember that, but was just trying it with everything in the middle. I will give it another try, thanks.

16. mach1

mach1 Member

17. rewihendrix

rewihendrix Member

Singing sustain is usually an audio illusion through the subtle use of delay and reverb. Of course, anything that compresses the sound (any fuzz, distortion or compression pedal) will increase the sustain.

18. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

EJ is pretty well-known for describing one of his signature lead tones as "500 lb violin" (along with other violin references). It's also pretty well-known how he gets it (tube driver pushing front end of a plexi set at medium gain, tone controls in modest spots). Getting the tone is half the battle... when you get it going right, at the volume he's playing at, it can be hard to control. So the hands still mean something.

I always saw that particular tone as an updated version of Clapton's woman tone... Sunshine comes to mind.

Yeah, Randy Bachman definitely got some violin happening on American Woman, although that wasn't a tone he used a lot.

Leslie West had some pretty corpulent tone (corpulent hands helps LOL).

Having said that, "singing" sustain can mean damn near anything. Carlos through an early boogie on Moonflower turned lots of heads, even though lots of Santana purists don't like his boogie tones. And that sounded nothing like David Lindley thru a Dumble, but that's still an example of a singing tone. Good slide always sounds vocal to me. On and on.

19. playthecray

playthecray Member

Sorry to derail the thread. I just have to say that the Musical Box are amazing. I saw them play the entire Lamb Lies Down On Broadway note for note. Anyway to get back on track, I like the MJM London Fuzz Ge for Violin tone.

20. mike361

mike361 Member

Get that with a Jvm 100 watt crunch channel with a sparkle drive mod on the # 2 mod setting. Through greenbacks in a 4x12 cab. I think it's the marshall that does it, just need a little compression and boost with the tone turned down somewhat.