Virgil Arlo Collection of Pickups by Tone Specific & Other New Sets for 2021.

Tone Specific

Vendor
Like many of you, we've been working at home these days. We are very grateful to have the opportunity to serve so many great musicians & we are humbled by the support of the guitarist community.

We believe in giving back & are a proud supporter of these online guitar forums. We also are proud to support the great charity Guitars for Vets. Keep an eye out for our charity auctions over on eBay. 100% of the proceeds goes to Guitars for Vets.

We also will have a few contests this year to give away free sets here on the forums. We have so much fun and success doing it last year, we just can't wait to do it again.

Our pickups are made one at time by hand right here in the USA. We are in rural area outside of San Diego and everyone out here has a barn or workshop on their property. In these abnormal times, we've been able to put the extra space to good use. Hopefully we are nearing the end of this horrible pandemic but we hope everyone out there will take good care of themselves until this nasty chapter is behind us.

We always have a half dozen designs in the works. Some make it to market, while others come up short. Our rule is simple, if we wouldn't use it in our guitars, then we won't offer it to our customers. Most designs take a few years to dial in just right & spend much time in the hands of working pros so we can get proper feedback from guys that rely on top-notch tone to make their living.

We will post some information below about new products.

Tone Specific

Vendor
We don't do many "one-offs" but when a legendary luthier or guitarist asks for something special, we try to accommodate whenever possible. Legendary Luthier Stephen Marchione like to direct mount Humbuckers in many of his designs.

This requires making a 12 screw Humbucker. 2 screw are longer than the other 10 and you use these two screws to mount the humbucker to the body. This set requires us to modify our P.A.F. backplate. You can see a picture of this modification below.

Tone Specific

Vendor
The new product we are most excited about is not one of our designs. We are very humbled to announce that we will be making the Virgil Arlo Pickups Collection in 2021. We will be using the same tools and materials that the winder known as Virgil Arlo used in prior to retirement. The part supply will probably to last 6 months to a year so get them while you can.

The Virgil Arlo collection of pickups are physically and sonically identical to the original "White Label" Virgil Arlo Pickups. Our packaging is a little different and we are using a Tan Label.

Mr. Arlo's original's were always and signed and dated. The new Virgil Arlo Collection from Tone Specific are labeled with the model number and "Tone Spec" branding.

For more information click here - Virgil Arlo Pickups by Tone Specific

Last edited:

Tone Specific

Vendor
We have a set called the "1949 Deluxe Strat" in the works. Mark Malin of Malin Amps was the first customer. He also a gigging guitarist and has been using this set with great results.

Its basically a Strat set with a Bridge and Neck that are constructed in a similar way as a Tele. The middle is 100% Strat. It's a versatile set up. Keep an eye out for more info.

Tone Specific

Vendor
Here is a look at the new Virgil Arlo 1959 Model by Tone Specific. We'll probably sell out of these quickly considering the original White Label Arlo Humbucker Sets are selling in the ballpark of $3,000 on Reverb and eBay.

We want everyone that needs a set to be able get one so there is a limit of 3 sets per customers.

Virgil Arlo 1959 P.A.F. Humbucker Review:

"What happened to Virgil Arlo?" has been a common question lately. He struggled physically for awhile & had been considering walking away for awhile. A lot of work went into making the Virgil Arlo Tele Pickups, Virgil Arlo 1959 Pickups & Virgil Arlo 1954 Strat Pickups. Years of 6 day work weeks got to be too much and it was just time for him to hang it up. He's grateful for all of the support he's received over the years from his customers & happy to know his pickups will bring a lifetime of you to his customers.

Last edited:

Tone Specific

Vendor
Our 1950 Deluxe Tele is a new set. Our first customers were recording artist Lightnin Willie, Legendary Amp Builder Ben Fargen & Guitar Builders Dean Gordon & Stonetree Guitars.

Last edited:

Tone Specific

Vendor
Here is the 1950 Deluxe Tele set in action in a Dean Gordon Hotelecaster. This guitar uses wood from the Pine Floors at the historic Chelsea Hotel in NYC.

Tone Specific

Vendor
Check out the new Virgil Arlo 1954 Strat Pickups by Tone Specific. These will sell out of these quickly considering the original White Label Virgil Arlo Stratocaster Sets are selling for as much as $2,000 on Reverb and eBay.

We want everyone that needs a set to be able get one so there is a limit of 3 sets per customers.

Take a listen to what many people consider to be the best Strat Pickups ever made:

Last edited:

Tone Specific

Vendor
"I've owned many vintage guitars. The Virgil Arlo pickups make my newer guitars sound better than vintage guitars. They make my older guitars sound even better than they did before. Mr. Arlo makes amazing stuff, they're the best you can get!"

-Wilbert Crosby Sr., Legendary Guitarist - BB King Band, Aretha Franklin, Mavis Staples.

Last edited:

Tone Specific

Vendor
"My Virgil Arlo pickups sound fantastic. It is hard to stop jamming & get down to learning my new song. The Humbucker is so smooth and clean and the bridge just sings like a bird. Sounds great in the middle position too."

-Richard McRae, Legendary Guitarist for George Strait

Last edited:

Tone Specific

Vendor
Here is the J-Mod Strat Preview.

Tone Specific

Vendor
"Virgil Arlo Pickups are incredible! Over the years, I've played a lot of different pickups & the Virgil Arlo's are the best. The best by far!"

-Mike Gallaher, Legendary Guitarist - Joe Cocker, Leon Russell.

Last edited:

Tone Specific

Vendor
"I went to a Session right after getting my Arlo's installed. My Guitar sounded so good, the Engineer asked "what are you doing different". I told him, I just got a set of Virgil Arlo Pickups. I love the tone of these pickups."

-Pat Buchanan, Legendary Session Guitarist in Nashville w/ 1000's of creditsincluding Kenny Chesney, Faith Hill, Hall & Oates, Trace Adkins, Cameo, Cyndi Lauper, Amy Grant, Ray Davies (the Kinks)

Last edited:

Tone Specific

Vendor
If you liked our Bloombuckers, then you should love our new Bloomcasters. They were made with the help of session/touring great Ford Thurston and other friends from the Nashville scene. Here is the Bloomcaster Strat preview.

Here are the Bloomcaster S-model in action.

Last edited:

Tone Specific

Vendor
Check out the new Virgil Arlo 1952 Tele Pickups by Tone Specific. These will sell out of these quickly considering the original White Label Virgil Arlo Telecaster Sets are selling for as much as $2,000 on Reverb and eBay.

Virgil Arlo 1952 Tele Pickups Review:

Last edited:

markmalin

We have a set called the "1949 Deluxe Strat" in the works. Mark Malin of Malin Amps was the first customer. He also a gigging guitarist and has been using this set with great results.

Its basically a Strat set with a Bridge and Neck that are constructed in a similar way as a Tele. The middle is 100% Strat. It's a versatile set up. Keep an eye out for more info.
These are pretty fantastic sounding! It's hard to put my finger on it, but the Strat that I mounted this set in, when I play it I just can't put it down. I find the dynamic range of the neck pickup to have more depth than I'm used to in a Strat pickup! Mark

Trending Topics