Virgil Arlo Pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MHG, Feb 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHG

MHG Member

Anyone using, or tried, these? They sound phenomenal in Hinds' demo! Any impressions/opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. MHG

MHG Member

3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Sorry - this is the first I've heard of them.

4. Tehillah

Tehillah Silver Supporting Member

All I can say is, I totally agree with you- so right on- one exact aspect of what I'm looking for, sonically, in a Strat sound. I emailed Allen, asking what, if any effects he used in that vid- such a classy guy- got right back to me in just a couple of minutes- I'll quote here part of the email:

"In the video I was using a Digitech Eb 7 I believe. But I like the newer Digitech. Called the supernatural. I will buy one of those soon. Borrowed one from a friend. Think it's great. Digitech recently bought all the lexicon stuff. So it all sounds great now".

I wonder if he meant the Digitech ex-7...there is that new Digitech product- Digitech Supernatural that he was touting as well. I was SO BLOWN AWAY by that partscaster's tone, I was seriously considering making one of my own (still thinking about it). I'd LOVE to hear a totally dry, non-embellished sound with those Virgil Arlo pickups to be able to really discern what's going on. NOT to hijack this thread, but, if anyone has those Vintage 1954 Virgil Arlo pups, PLEASE make some clips of playing them straight into a Blackface-type amp (or whatever)- that would be awesome-

Millo 3.1 and MHG like this.
  5. TonemanCA

TonemanCA Member

I've had a set of the Arlo's in my number one strat for years. Not a lot of people know about them. I think they are the best strat pickups and I've tried just about every boutique pickup out there. When I jam with my buddies everyone wants to play my Arlo Strat. They pair up good with just about every amp, pedal or modeler I've tried. Even my solid state Tech 21 sounds good which has always been a challenge for me with single coils on the dirt channel. If they were cheaper I would have them in all of my guitars.

6. Teleman76

Teleman76 Supporting Member

Yep killer pickups for sure.

pats likes this.
  7. Tehillah

Hey, Bro- any chance of some clips?!?

8. TonemanCA

TonemanCA Member

I'm not really set up to record at the moment. There is probably some on youtube.

9. Tehillah

No worries- I have looked- none that have a dry signal, although Allen Hinds demo has fantastic tone.

10. TonemanCA

TonemanCA Member

This guy sounds like he is playing straight into the amp with maybe a touch of verb. He talks more than he plays. Fast forward to about the 3 minute mark:

11. Tehillah

Thanks, Bro- yeah, I'd seen/heard that one- looking for a totally dry signal- I really do appreciate you looking out for me, though! I should just get a set and do my own tests, but they're pretty pricey- maybe I'll find some preowned ones- thx!

12. MHG

MHG Member

13. Gookiecrunch

Gookiecrunch Member

On order.. these are the best pickups I've heard. These plus a Conrad sundholm amp and I'll be a happy boy! 2month wait for each though.

MHG likes this.
  14. football

football Silver Supporting Member

Going to try a set of his Strat pickups out. He said they'll go out in eight weeks.

Think Allen Hinds video turned out to be great promo. Hadn't even heard of these before seeing that.

MHG likes this.
  15. pats

pats Supporting Member

I just saw a couple of the youtube videos and my curiosity is piqued.

Teleman76 seems like you always find things before me, do you have a set? How do they compare the the Ellis pups?

16. AllenL

AllenL Member

Leo Amuedo has a video on you tube demoing the Virgil Arlo PAFs on his Sadowsky Tele. Great sound. Then again, everything sounds good in his hands.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Digits_Only, Millo 3.1 and pats like this.
  17. arnie65

arnie65 Supporting Member

Finally tried the Virgil Arlo PAF pickups, great pickups indeed but IMO no better than Tom Holmes, which I use to compare everything else. They're just as good and that's a lot to say. When you have players the caliber of Leonardo Amuedo and Allen Hinds showcasing your pickups or guitars, anything they play will sound amazing...Truly great pickups but are they worth $629.99 ???? It's up to you...

Cheers,
    Arnie..

teleman1 likes this.
  18. AllenL

AllenL Member

You're absolutely correct. Great sounding but worth the steep price tag?

These PAFs are only available with the standard 2-conductor wiring. My understanding is 4-conductors would require the output be higher, which will compromise the tone.

I love the tone and would consider ordering a set, but I haven't decided if I want to give up the split coil option on my guitar. I was told Leo gave up his split coil feature on his Sadowsky when he had these installed. I have the same Sadowsky Leo has.

19. arnie65

arnie65 Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Same here, I wouldn't change the setup on my Sadowsky. I now have Tom Holmes in it with the split coil and it sounds phenomenal!

Cheers,
    Arnie..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    AllenL likes this.
  20. AllenL

AllenL Member

Wow, beautiful axe
    Beautiful guitar. Very similar to mine. How much are Tom Holmes pickups going for now?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.