Visit to CP Thornton's shop

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by tlainhart, Jul 31, 2008.

1. tlainhart

tlainhart Member

A public thank you to Chuck Thornton for letting play his instruments at his shop in ME. I've ordered a Professional from his next batch, and couldn't decide on a Maple vs. Spruce top. He suggested that I visit his shop (I live in Central MA) and he kindly setup both guitars for me to play. Both sounded great, and I ended up going with the spruce.

I also ended up playing his Fusion guitar. If I had the money, I would have bought it. I really enjoyed playing it, and it sounded great even playing jazz on it. I was self-conscious about taking up so much of his time, so I stopped, but could have played a lot longer - just getting warmed up to the instruments. If you're on the fence about a Fusion - let me push you over to buying one. It sounds great.

Chuck offered a shop tour to show me his process and woods for the next batch and told me stories about our favorite guitar player, Lenny Breau (he lives in Breau country).

Chuck's a gentleman and a great builder. I have two regrets - my Professional won't be available towards the end of the year, and I don't have the cash for a Fusion. Other than that, I'm glad I went, and I'm grateful that Chuck took time out from his full schedule to show me his instruments, his shop, and to socialize.

-- Todd

2. lfyost

lfyost Member

Todd, you lucky guy. Wish I lived closer!

Layne

3. Vibrolucky

Vibrolucky Supporting Member

My Cp Thornton Elite (#46) is my #1 "go-to" guitar. I wish I could see the shop also....Chuck has always been very much the gentleman & craftsman.

4. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

What does the Fusion sound like? Does it sound like it looks (i.e., kinda like a strat)? How does the slightly shorter scale length (25 vs. 25.5") affect tone and playability?

5. tlainhart

tlainhart Member

Fusion owners should chime in here - I only played it at the shop.

I loved the instrument. It is Strat-like, with a great feeling neck. IIRC, it's not a vintage, quacky Strat, but I don't think that it's trying to be. It's a single-coil, strat-like instrument.

I like the feel of a 25" fretboard over a 25.5", so I guess I would say that it affects playability positively. You can certainly get Strat-tones from it, but more than that as well. I really like the maple fingerboard.

6. fugot

fugot Member

chuck breathes, eats and talks guitar from his heart. total good guy.