Visit to Roman Rist's shop

GEN DAWG

I own a couple of great guitars made by Roman, and this week I was in his neck of the woods on business and stopped by for a visit. I spent about 4 hours playing guitar, shooting the breeze, and eating dinner with Roman and his lovely family. He's just an unbelievably gracious guy. And the guitars -- in my humble, but reasonably well-informed opinion, Roman is the very best at building new guitars that feel like vintage pieces the minute you pick them up.

Here he is hand carving the neck on a new one he is building for me.

And here's the body. This is not an LP replica. It will have body contouring, different neck heel, contouring in the cutaway, and Roman's headstock with his name on it, along with other design tweaks he does. The body is nice and light.

I am going to go with a Lemon Burst finish, I think. No question, Ox4 pickups. Trying to decide whether to go with a TOM-style or wrap-tail. Will keep y'all posted as this beauty comes along.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
That's a very nice top. I love that nice vertical flow the grain has. Hope the finish really makes that pop nicely.

GEN DAWG

That's a very nice top. I love that nice vertical flow the grain has. Hope the finish really makes that pop nicely.
I liked the top a lot. I picked it out of several maple pieces he had available; this one has some flame, some quilt, and a few birdseye spots. Hoping that the lemon-ish finish will be the right call. And no pickguard -- I don't want to cover any of that up.

Jazzandmore

I liked the top a lot. I picked it out of several maple pieces he had available; this one has some flame, some quilt, and a few birdseye spots. Hoping that the lemon-ish finish will be the right call. And no pickguard -- I don't want to cover any of that up.
Exactly, let that beauty of nature show through!

Be cool to see pics of other ones he's done for you.

GEN DAWG

Here you go. I've done demo videos with both of the Rists I have:

This one is a Workhorse II -- solid mahogany, tru-oil finish all over

And my other, which I named the Darkhorse, is chambered korina with a flat maple top. Has an oil-finished neck.

Another demo with the Darkhorse

Last edited:

GEN DAWG

Nice GenDawg! The top on the new one looks killer. I hope one day to make it up to Roman shop.
Thanks, Brother. True story -- while I'm at the shop, Straightblues calls Roman, who hands me the phone and has me talk to him while he keeps working. SB, I couldn't find the one he's building for you, but I know it will kill.

Jazzandmore

Thanks, Brother. True story -- while I'm at the shop, Straightblues calls Roman, who hands me the phone and has me talk to him while he keeps working. SB, I couldn't find the one he's building for you, but I know it will kill.
That's so funny he called right then. Small world!

big mike

Cathode biased
Nice!

I'd be tempted to go natural with double creme buckers.

A forum buddy DaveTcan has a natural LP with a top kind of like that and it's sort of naturally aged to a beautiful look.

Normally I'm not a 'natural' kind of guy though!

straightblues

Coming along nicely Gen Dawg. I know you have been waiting awhile for that one. It will be extra sweet when it is done.

My next Rist is coming soon as well. It is a Korina guitar shaped like a strat. I was going to go with a solid painted top and then I got inspire by your amazing top so I just choose a thin maple top for it.

Trending Topics