Vista + Reaper + ?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gasp100, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Just got a new laptop (mainly for work, but it's got 2GB of RAM so it should rock for a recording device as well). It's preloaded with Vista, but I'm considering blowing it away and installing XP.
    I'd rather not though, just a PITA. Is Reaper good with Vista yet? What about a small firewire interface like Presonus? I have XPSP2 on my main workstation with a firewire card installed that I'm not using. I guess it's time to get a small interface that I can use on that AND with the laptop.
    Thought's? I know everyone hates Vista, but SP1 is on the horizon and it's 2008... upgrade or die :crazy

2. big brekfest

big brekfest Guest

give it a shot but be warned that I have bad latency problems with vista. Reaper works fine with vista. I just couldn't get a clean pop-free recording path going. I ended up switching back to xp. YMMV.

3. Gasp100

Hmmm... what interface are you using? Maybe upgraded drivers or something specific to Vista?

4. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I use Reaper with Vista for about a year and it's been great, no issues at all.

5. Gasp100

Cool, so what interface are YOU using with Vista/Reaper. This laptop comes preloaded with a lot o resource hogs as well. Google Desktop? Really? Norton System Center... well, once it's updated it's running okay.
    I'm a Microsoft guy and even I can appreciate that one Mac commercial making fun of the account authorization settings. Permission to install? Permission to run application? Permission to throw laptop out window? :mad:
    Easily disabled though...
    :munch

6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Reaper runs fine on Vista. The main problem with Vista is the driver situation. Some interfaces have good drivers for Vista and some are pretty poor. Many people are starting to use Vista successfully for recording. You just have to be careful about which interface you buy.

7. Gasp100

Yes, I'm not ready to buy a new interface just yet so I'll take some time to see which companies come out with rock solid drivers. I'm really trying to get feedback from ya'll about interfaces that are working with Vista + Reaper... ;)
    So.... what small interface with maybe 2 XLR ins and a decent preamp section with good headroom connectable via firewire is rock solid with Vista + Reaper? $300 - 400 would be best.

8. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I use a Line 6 UX1; I like it a lot for quick takes and some good variety in modeling.

9. macafro

macafro Member

I'm running Reaper and Presonus Firepod on Vista with zero trouble.

10. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

The best place to find the definitive answer is on the official
    Reaper Forums.
    http://www.cockos.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Vista is a daily discussion on the forums as Justin and his crew continue to improve Reaper.

The second best place for info would be the
    Gearslutz forum. IMHO still the best pro recording forum on the 'net.

Good luck.