Visual Sound H20

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LavaMan, Jul 28, 2006.

1. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I have lately been a guitar>amp guy, but last night I decided to bring out my trusty H2O pedal that I have had for about 3 years now and used it through the effects loop of my Fuchs TDS 50 - gotta a tell ya...I was pleasantly surprised. Dialed in just enough chorus and echo to thicken it up a bit and it was a blast...

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

underrated pedal, should've kept mine.

I'm conservative, and so are many of you. If that pedal weren't so ugly and odd-shaped, I bet more people would hold onto them. I don't think most people care about stepping on two at once. If he designed that pedal as true bypass in a rectangular shaped box, it would be more popular. Shallow, but I really believe that. Oh well..

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I've posted many positive comments here on the TGP on both sides of this pedal (delay and chorus).

4. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

I got one last year, the latest version I believe. It sounds great!! I do wish it was a regular shape though, or even available as 2 separate pedals. I think many have suggested to VS before about doing this, but they are firm in their decision, even though I'm sure it is costing them business.

anyone tried rehousing one?

5. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

+1

I thought the echo was/is great! The chorus sounds boxy to me though which is why I don't keep it on my board.

6. Wooley

Wooley Member

I think you're absolutely right. I think Visual Sound wants to have a unique look to their pedals, which is great and all, but it doesn't help out much on your pedalboard. Really takes up an unusual and unnecessarily large piece of real estate, which is pretty much the only reason I no longer use EH pedals either. Both look cool, but really players need practical.

7. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

I use the Visual SOund H2O currently in my Rig #2 setup. This would be a 1977 Marshall SUperlead Non Master with the channels bridged thru a 1978 Marshall Slant check Rola Blackback G12m25 cab. I run the channels bridged. Also run a Tonebone Hot British in their which is what I totally recommend ABOVE anything else for an NMV Marshall for gain (Try one:>)!!!
    Anyway , THe H20 has very LUSH delays as i simply use it more for a bit of ambiant or a "trailer off" of sorts more so than a " slap back " type delay or other types. I think it sounds great. I DO like the chorus and think while im sure their are a few boutique pedals out there that might edge it a bit to me the BUCKET BRIGADE CHIPS are doing their job in this pedal. For me it is AAA+++. I notice no tone SUCKING when the pedal is OFF position either??? Also, I use the new SKB PS45 Pro Pedalboard which has a LOT of floor space for pedals on it so the H20s kind a clunky look doesnt take up a lot of space. Obvciously this is subjective and you can think differant for everyone has a diff. board or other type layoyut they use for their pedals. I like the PS45 Pro for its effects loops, multiple 9V and multi voltage hookups and the power condtioning all rolled into one plus a HUGE amount of space for multi amp/ pedal hookups. Great stuff again!

Jim Henderson
    Lead Guitar Instructor-Gear Sales-Tone Consultant
    ARCMUSIC OF BOCA LLC.

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

Jim, thanks for the tip. I'm going to check out that SKB pedal board.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I love the echo on it too...but in contrast to you guys, I LOVE the chorus too. I don't know how you're using the chorus here (though already I'm in the minority, so it could be I'm just wrong...) but to me the additional ability compared to many choruses with only speed and depth controls, of the width control makes all the difference for me.

I feel like I can get it as drastic or as subtle as I want with those three knobs. I can definitely make it sound sick, and wobbly, too mid-rangey, but also I can get a pretty good leslie imitation (especially with it AND a vibe in line) also something akin to a fair tremolo (so the trem pedal came off my board to make room for other pedals) and shimmery, or just really subtly barely there.

On the other hand, I am no connesiour of choruses...up til lately I ownly owned the H2O one. Lately I bought A Guyatone MC-3 micro-chorus, and a Boss CH-1 chorus, as well as have used many in multi-effects.

Maybe my problem is I never met a chorus I didn't like. But they ARE different. The Guyatone is the one now on my board. It only has depth and speed controls but I like where it is voiced. Up til now, H2O has been on my board for years and is a solid workhorse. Like others mentioned, I did want to free up some space, but really my DE_7 delay, and evn that little tiny Micro-chorus with cables and all take up about the same width.

Anyway, the H2O is off the board finally...for a little while, but I know it will go back on because I really do like the way it works with my style.

Up til now, I have generally used it in the effects loop, but I am starting to buy and use more "simple" amps like Bassman (point-to-point handmade) and now a Germino Classic 45, that have no effects loop, so I am trying to find out what works well on input instead of FX loop.

As I recall, the few times I used the H2O on input, made it SO much better when I put them back in the loop I decided to always have them in the loop. Guess I'll find out if that recollection was right now...

It really is a great pedal, what I like too...after a short time, it is very intuitive. I can dial in "Red House" delay, or "Sinners Prayer" delay, I can dial in "Taxi" shimmering chorus, or "swamp blues" quasi-tremolo on the H2O without hearing it...the knobs make sense.

Only slight problem with reliability on the "long/short" rocker switch. Sometimes it stays on short no matter. Almost always has been when cold though, without warmup. Fixed by toggling it a few times. No big deal, and every time it happened it happend before the show, and no problems after it started working right.

10. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I get alot of use out of mine, had it a couple years now. I've gotten used to the gigantic housing. The circuit board inside is triangular as well, so rehousing it would be a bitch.
    I use the chorus more than the delay and it is very tweakable with the width knob. Still, it'd be cool to have an overall effect level knob on it.
    My stepbrother has an original CE-1 and everytime I hear his recordings it makes me aware of what I'm looking for and of the H2Os shortcomings. I'll always keep the pedal, but I may be looking into the Retro Sonic Chorus at some point.

11. david eaton

david eaton Member

Another big fan of the big pedal.

12. notagain123

notagain123 Member

had it for a year so far and still one of my best buys ever