Visual Sound is now TrueTone (rebranding content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NHBluesMan, Mar 30, 2015.

1. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

the announcement was 'officially' made today (and leaked by gearphoria within the past couple weeks).

Visual Sound is now officially TrueTone. The first products launched under the new name will be the V3 Jekyll & Hyde and a 1-Spot Pro power supply (new isolated power supply system). As a long time VS supporter and fan, i'm kindof 'eh' on the name change, but i see their reasoning behind it, and i can't wait to snag a V3 J&H for my board. The OD side is the left side of the VS-XO with an added clean blend, and the Dist side has the formerly internal bass knob moved to the outside, as well as a new voice switch to change the character of the distortion from tight and compressed to more open sounding.

[​IMG]

more info available at TrueTone.com

2. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

Oh man, that is nice looking! Not sure about the new name....but at least peeps won't be going to visualsound.com and getting a totally different company's website with the same name.

3. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

The pedal looks cool but will it let you switch the order of the effects? To me that's the biggest flaw with the previous versions.

4. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

They have a 4 jack layout, so you can wire them in any order you want. Not as simple as a flip of the switch though...

I'm curious if they will go back and re-release the VS-XO with the left side clean blend, since that is the one thing it seriously lacks.

5. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

not sure. I could see that happening once it's released with the new name/logo, but my guess is that they may keep it that way for variety sake :p

i'm personally planning to use this in place of my VS-XO- i love the left side, but i always wanted to get a heavier sound out of the right side. I could get close, but something was always kindof lacking. Past experience tells me that the Open Road and Hyde distortion stack together amazingly, so this should be a winner for my needs

6. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Wonder if the pedals that say Visual Sound will go up in value!

7. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I thought they had built a pretty good brand name investing years and money into it. Not sure it's to smart to kill it like that.

8. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

Same here. Something about True Tone just makes me think of Mooer and Joyo. Probably just me, but it's a "cheap" sounding name.

9. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

This is cool...been on the fence for a long time with the VS-XO, and that was part of the reason. Perhaps I'll be very glad I waited!

Agreed. Visual Sound is a much cooler name IMO, TrueTone sounds cheap and generic.

Either way, I'm liking this pedal so far on paper...

10. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

that was my initial reaction as well. But honestly i could care less as long as they sound the same.

11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I think TrueTone Music (the store in Santa Monica) might have something to say about that name and logo since they've had it since about 1990...

http://truetonemusic.com/

12. stark

stark Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

This is "Truetone Music" compared to "Truetone ®"

[​IMG]

14. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I agree with Petey and Stark: they should have done a better due diligence on the name search and/or cleared it with TrueTone Music (if they didn't). True Tone and Truetone are a little different, but still sound the same, so the difference is almost inconsequential. This will likely get interesting.

15. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Looks like the right side has full 3-band EQ? Mini-knobs look like "Bass" and "Mid", big middle knob is "Treble". If the left side is already the more transparent low-gain side but now with clean blend and adjustable Bass, it might just be that my OD dreams have come true..! :-0

16. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Supporting Member

Seems the federal government was satisfied by awarding the trademark.

I am interested in the new isolated power supply ...

17. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I assume the name change is to get away from the stigma attached to VS with their old enclosure designs.

Of course, I like the V2 designs more than the new stuff.....the new stuff looks too generic. The old ones looked "fun". They just needed to move the jacks to the back.

18. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I agree 100%, and beyond a few posters here in TGP I never got the impression there was a "stigma" regarding their old angular designs - quite the contrary: people seemed to appreciate the fact this design was making the footswitches even easier to engage. That was one of the reasons I always loved (and still do) my old H2O, besides its roadworthiness and its sound quality.

19. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

Big fan of Visual Sound (or Truetone!) and they've obviously been doing something right to stay so successful in a competitive market place (IMO great prices, quality, customer service etc etc) but man, they've not done themselves any favours in the marketing / branding area.

First it was the odd-shaped enclosures (that had some weird homemade charm originally), then there was the weird cartoony graphics to accompany the even bigger and uglier enclosures. Then they finally succumbed to making a sensible enclosure that was almost devoid of any design flair whatsoever...and came up with the snappy name...Visual Sound VS-XO Premium Dual Overdrive....

...Now after 20+ years, they decide to change the name from one that was pretty cool and universally recognised to a generic, nothing name...

...I'm not trying to bash them at all, just genuinely feel they could expand their user base and appeal by investing in some marketing advice...

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Don't they have a Truetone Clean Boost? Don't hear much about it. Wonder how long they've been selling it?