Visual Sound *New* V2 Singles

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aziltz, Oct 22, 2008.

1. aziltz

aziltz Member

I've had a Route 66 on my board for a few years and it'll never leaving, but i just wanted to comment that i'm disappointed that they (Visual Sound) didn't make a single-pedal version of the analog delay side of the H20...

2. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

You do have a good point, but when you consider the fact that you get a great 100% analog (with new-vintage design-chips) chorus with the echo, then it isn't so bad...

3. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I used to own an H2O, and I'm pretty sure the Chorus was Analog and the Delay was Digital... a very warm, good sounding digital, but digital none-the-less...

4. ♪♪♫♫♪

♪♪♫♫♪ Senior Member

this is correct. I've heard that the single pedals--the chorus at least--don't stack up to the original.

and they look horrible, like toys if you ask me.

5. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

This is pretty much correct, but the echo side is actually an analog-digital hybrid. And you benefit from the long repeats offered by digital delays, and the warmth of the analog side.

I can't really tell if this is true or not since I don't know if they have made any changes to the original circuit other than the addition of the LUSH/NORMAL switch/pot to the chorus side. As for how they look, well, that is ofcourse in the eye of the beholder, but to me the new design is far superior to the old one. Far more pleasing to my eyes.

6. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

Its not a hybrid, even though they may say that. Its an analog voiced digital delay. It does not digitize the original signal, but neither does the DD3. No more a hybrid than a DD3 with a high cut mod.

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I had a Comp 66 and it was great. I would buy the chorus or even one of the od/distortion pedals if I found a good deal on one.

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Proof? I am not doubting you, but since you bring this up, I would like to see where you get this information from...

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

This is my experience. I have always considered the H2O chorus the best I have tried and really love using it. While I was realy excited to get it in a single pedal too, for versatility (though honestly, I like the echo very much so two pedals in one, with one power outlet used only and less space that two Boss side-by-side, why NOT use the H2O? But I did want the option...) I don't think the single sounds as organic or real as my H2O. They can say "it is the same circuit" but I hear the single as slightly more "shiny" sounding, a little too much in comparison.

That said, even though I don't think it is quite as good, I STILL would say the single is better than any other chorus I have tried (and I have tried a few, though not red witch, or Analogmans) so it is still a win.

It's definitely good enough to use, so I am not too dissapointed.

10. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

I had the H2O a few years ago, and sold it. Earlier this month I bought the V2 version, but ended up sending it back. IMO, the newer version had a tinny or metallic sound to it that I don't recall the older one having.

I've also been using the Jeckyll & Hyde for a few years now. I like both sides, but I really wanted to have the OD placed before the Distortion. So, when I returned the H2O I bought the Son Of Hyde and a Boss OD-3. The SOH has a built-in noise gate that won't let a note decay naturally, so I turned it off. It also has a Bass pot on the inside, which gives it more bass than the J&H. (The pedal comes with the bass maxed... I think I'll need to turn it down a bit.) I do hear just a bit of that metallic sound with this pedal too, so I'm thinking that the V2 pedals' circuits aren't exactly the same as the older versions.

11. ♪♪♫♫♪

♪♪♫♫♪ Senior Member

Not to hijack the thread, but if you like that chorus, you should pick up an old 3-knob MXR yellow AC chorus.

I had an original H2O and really liked it. Sold it for one reason or another, and subsequently picked up the MXR. Then I found a good deal on another original H2O and bought it to compare head-to-head to the MXR, because I remembered the H2O being in the same ballpark.

Well, it's in the ballpark, but the MXR is warmer, lusher, deeper and chewy-er. If you like the H2O, you will soil yourself over the MXR. It's noisy to be sure, but I think it's the holy grail of analog chorus pedals.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I tend to think I want a three knob chorus because I like the option of adjusting delay as well as depth, (and I am only guessing that the MXR only has two?) but I might give it a shot.

Does it have to be an old one? I mean, are they not selling them anymore or are different nowdays? How old? How do I tell ?

Thanks!

13. aziltz

aziltz Member

I only use the comp side of my v1 Route 66, and it takes up alot of real estate ( i just added 5 pedals to the board...)

How does the v2 comp 66 compare to the v1 66 comp? Its my always on pedal, and if they have the same mojo, i'll definitely replace one with the other.

Opinions?

14. treeuh

treeuh Member

I'm in the exact same boat... I always leave my Rt66's comp on... I have a JH and a FD2 so I have all of the TS layering possibilities covered... so I don't really need the OD side... I probably would replace it with the single comp, but the price doesn't justify it for me...

15. aziltz

aziltz Member

well, with the resale value of the Route 66, you could probably pick up a used comp 66. I'm gonna wait til the deal presents itself though.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

just to mention it also...in addition to liking the H20 liquid chorus better than the single pedal LC, (though as I said, the H20's is my alltime fav, the single LC is my next fav...but I just like the H20 a better) I think they really overdid it on the price.

I mean, the price of the single is way too close to the price of the double. If space is a consideration...even so, it's a big pedal, but still smaller width-wise than any two Boss sized pedals and it takes up only one power connection.

17. lowenzz

lowenzz Member

I had the original H20 and was never 100% on the chorus with that one, I really liked the delay side alot though. I bought the new V2 H20, for one the smaller size and I think the chorus is alot better on it, with the switch it sounds the same as the original version.

I would buy the single version of the Echo pedal in an instant. I also wish they would work up a phase/vibe pedal.

I have the Double trouble as well and a Son of Hyde on the way.

18. OrangeAD30TC

Hmm... Musicians friend says "analog voiced digital delay"... here is my reason for my belief is this. No where do they say the delay uses bucket brigade chips. They do say this about the chorus however. Unless they use a Bucket brigade chip its not an analog delay by definition. Even if the digital chip does not digitize the original signal or bypassed signal, it is still a digital delay because the delay effect is being achieved by a digital chip. The chip either uses digits, "0 and 1"s or it doesn't. Does that make sense?

19. OrangeAD30TC

Its a great sounding delay by the way...

20. lowenzz

lowenzz Member

Yes, the H20 has an analog chorus and an "analog voiced" digital delay. I love the delay myself.