• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Visual Sound Open Road, am I crazy!?

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
This has gotta be one of the best overdrives I've ever heard! Clips sound amazing, dead on a sound I need on my board for the country rock style of tones I go for. Anyone else using/used one? This could be the most underrated pedal I've ever seen... And I'm picking one up for 50 bucks, what do I have to lose?

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
I'm new to the pedal world in general, never really been a pedal guy, and I'm starting to put one together. I'm not sure how many boost/OD pedals I plan to buy but this is definitely going on it after what I've heard. Other considerations are bogner Wessex, bogner blue, JHS angry Charlie/Charlie brown ( killer sounding pedal) ROckett archer and RC/EP booster.. Not sure out of those what the open road could cover but man I'm loving this pedal so far, dead on what I would want. I was looking at the nobels ODR 1 but This seems like everything the nobels is and more/better.

slap_back05

They have updated it and put it in their VS-XO pedal, and it's a great Klon-like booster for me. Their 808 is top notch as well.

southpaw pete

Like many on here, I have been through a TON of pedals, boutique and otherwise, and right now the two overdrives on my board are a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde and Open Road. I have found that the Open Road can have a little too much low end on some rigs, but with what I am currently playing, it is really dialed in perfect for that "transparent" drive sound. And it sounds so great stacked with the Route 808.

NHBluesMan

loved the Open Road, love the VS-XO more (Open Road with bass control), expecting i'll love the V3 J&H even more than the other 2 (left side is an Open Road with bass control AND a clean blend)

slap_back05

The clean blend is something that should have been flip flopped on the VS-XO. I'm sure some people like a tube screamer with some clean in there, but the Open Road side with a clean blend would have been killer.

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
wow killer didnt even know about the VS-XO! This looks right up my alley after listening to demos....so the left side is in fact an exact copy of the open road??? what is the right side then exactly? 808 style?

Gibs210

^ yep, 808 and open road combination in the vs-xo, I would have to say though, if your able to get an open road for $50, I'd jump on that, that's a really good deal.

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
^ yep, 808 and open road combination in the vs-xo, I would have to say though, if your able to get an open road for $50, I'd jump on that, that's a really good deal.

youve got a pretty good point, the XO would still cost me another 120 bucks or so, so that really is probably the way to go. however as snobby as it sounds the new XO looks worlds better, and is more compact with 2 pedals....Like I said im really new to the pedal world, and every overdrive I see I feel need now! haha. really hard to narrow down a few. Id like a good marshall in a box (the new plexidrive deluxe is in my head, as of today right now, ask me again tomorrow haha!), a good klon style, and a good pure boost for volume push. This looks like a great all in one, and then maybe a marshall and klon style pedal would be all I would need.

Gibs210

I think the open road should be able to cop quite a bit of the klon flair, maybe not perfectly, but it'll get ya in the ball park.

slap_back05

I think the open road should be able to cop quite a bit of the klon flair, maybe not perfectly, but it'll get ya in the ball park.
It probably couldn't quite do it before in the single pedal form, but the updated version on the VS-XO has the Bass roll off, which really allows it to express that upper mids thing the Klon has going on, and it really sings.

ItJustRocks

Platinum Supporting Member
I just picked one up on the cheap and will weigh in when I get a chance to try it out.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
Not trying to be a jerk, but saying a pedal is the best you've ever heard based on clips, is a bit of a stretch, some players can make all pedals sound good.

ItJustRocks

Platinum Supporting Member
I've owned an Open Road for almost 2 months. Really stellar light-medium drive pedal. A little bass-heavy but I love the open nature to the drive. Is the VS-XO, or one side of that pedal, really an open road?

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Gold Supporting Member
The Open Road is an absolutely excellent pedal. The first time I played it I was really surprised how good it was.

Greyblooz

It really is an unbelievable overdrive. I bought might after hearing it was a clone of the Nobels ODR-1, but it’s really an improvement in many ways: buffer, smoothness, versatility, durability and most importantly it doesn’t power up with the pedal engaged. It doesn’t have exactly the same mid presence and rude-honk of the ODR, but that’s not really an issue because it excells at everything else, bringing the best out of every amp.

Has anyone had a chance to compare it the Truetone VX-XO yet?

NHBluesMan

It really is an unbelievable overdrive. I bought might after hearing it was a clone of the Nobels ODR-1, but it’s really an improvement in many ways: buffer, smoothness, versatility, durability and most importantly it doesn’t power up with the pedal engaged. It doesn’t have exactly the same mid presence and rude-honk of the ODR, but that’s not really an issue because it excells at everything else, bringing the best out of every amp.

Has anyone had a chance to compare it the Truetone VX-XO yet?
The Truetone VS-XO is the same as the Visual Sound VS-XO which a few guys have commented on the similatities in this thread already. The only difference being the VS-XO gives the added bass control, which makes a big difference wth bass-heavy rigs. Still loving the circuit in my V3 J&H (same as the VS-XO but with an added clean blend

Trending Topics