Visualsound Jekyll/Hyde VS. Bad Monkey

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ♫♪♫, Apr 29, 2008.

1. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

are they at all similar?

I know the jekyll side of the jh is like a tube screamer with more bottom end (bass boost switch)

so yeah...

and I think the bad monkey is supposed to be like a TS too right?

just curious...

2. sandman

sandman Member

I like J&H TS side better than the Monkey. Bass boost is very good but it ain't the key feature compared to BM(it's got a bass pot as you kow). I like J&H's drive character a lot better, more focus, sustain, sounds better with gain up...Monkey's cool but can be somewhat loose/muddy in the gain department plus you don't get a lot of sustain into a clean amp, kinda shorts out in not too musical way. YMMV. Distortion side of the J&H can be set as a BD-2ish/Ratty flat or scooped boost. It may look uncool but it's a workhorse if you can get it used on the cheaper side (just not to feel bad as it won't stop you from browsing TGP further, right? :D )...amazing buffer too. I have the older red version.

3. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

4. stump

stump Member

I've got the JH and had the Monkey for a short time. I feel that the overall character is better and the Jekyll side alone is more versatile. The Hyde side reminds me of the original Marshall Guvnor. As well both sides can be run simultaneously. It's a great pedal and is one of the few that I use consistently.

5. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

friend has one, he said it is kind of half rat, half screamer

6. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

The Hyde side is actually based on The Marshall Shredmaster.

7. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have the VS jeckyll and Hyde
    I used to have the bad monkey...

the J and H sounds better and has more tone control...plus boosts and two pedals in one...the only thing a bad monkey has going for it is the cool name...and price

8. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Where's all the Monkey love??

9. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have had both, still have the BM. The J&H is a great pedal, very versatile. they are actually quite different now that I think about it.

10. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I have a monkey and have used the first generation JH. To me, the monkey has less gain and is not as smoothe as the JH. The monkey also has more midrange and is more transparent to my ears. I like the Bad Monkey more as a boost and of course the Jekyll and Hyde for higher gain stuff. If you have a good tube amp and run it on the verge of breakup, then the Bad Monkey is a better choice in my opinion. If you are running a clean amp and want all of your drive to come from the pedal then the JH is the better choice.

11. RockDC

RockDC Member

That hyde side is no rat. Rats have more Mids. Its based on a Marshall pedal of some kind.