Vito Bratta

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pidgin English, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I'm sure he's been discussed a kajillion times around here :) But I'm listening to White Lion's version of Radar Love right now and Vito was just an amazing guitarist back then.

cam, stratadp, Matt Dillon and 18 others like this.
  2. jiml

jiml Member

Underrated, but it was tough to "shine" during that era, everyone had shredders.

3. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

I almost crashed my car the first time I heard his solo on Wait. Mind = blown.

4. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

man, there was a short while, he was everywhere:
    [​IMG]

then it was like he disappeared....I know I heard he took care of his elderly parents (so assume that's true).
    but always wondered: what is he doing?

Gilky, Kevy_Metal, renato-rt and 7 others like this.
  5. WordMan

WordMan Member

So fluid and melodic. He is to EVH like SRV is to Jimi - worships him and plays a melodic more tech-precise version.

6. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

My thoughts are they came on strong but it was towards the end of that era and the music left them.

Seems like there was a final concert where maybe they just found out they were being dropped by their label. When the show was over Vito walked out the door, didn't say good bye, shake hands or anything and that was that, never to return. Later there was a wrist injury or something along with caring for his elderly parents.

Pidgin English likes this.
  7. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Yeah, the last time I heard anything at length with Vito was an Eddie Trunk interview he did in 2007. He mentioned both taking care of his parents (dad in particular) and being unable to play electric guitar for a while.

Vaibhav Joshi and sahhas like this.
  8. Dasein

Dasein Member

Vito was burdened by one of the worst baby talking, poorly enunciating, vocal poseurs in hair music history..... His voice sounds like a duck faced Lolita doing a googoo gaga baby talk impersonation of a valley girl sweet talking a sugar daddy for Mo' money! .... He couldn't deliver a note without bathing it in that vocal sauce - so painful. Vito deserved better.... because his guitar was the sauce!!!! it was all the sauce we needed. Mike Tramp was too busy imagining himself as one of Siegfried and Roy's White Tigers (yes I know Lion/= Tiger) and ripping strategic holes in his jeans while Vito (hardly the best looking cat in the jungle) had the melodic chops of a cherub sent from God. God Bless vito because he was both the beauty and the beast of White Lion - Tramp was just all melted sugar ontop of melted sugar.... But damn what a fine head of hair Mike had... damn fine hair.

Phrygiandom, uab9253, jjb and 29 others like this.
  9. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Yeah there was no love lost between Vito and Mike Tramp. Tramp knows he needs Vito in order to be vaguely relevant especially this many years later.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  10. Omega

Omega Member

This is very harsh. But sadly dare I say close to spot on.

11. Dasein

Dasein Member

I know I feel guilty -- but I don't -- Vito for the win!!!!!! Long Live Vito. The band had nowhere to go with Stamp - he was unable to grow as a singer or writer - his look was fully developed, his vocals were overbaked from the first note he ever sang... -- White Lion was limited because of it. Can you imagine if Vito had been with a real vocalist with growth potential - imagine how his playing would have developed with that.

12. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

All the guitar parts in that song were choice but in a decade filled with amazing guitar solos, that one definitely stood out from the pack. I remember spending hours working on that song when I was 17.

The singer in my band and I did an acoustic act opening for Tramp back in 2015.

Ron Keel was also on that bill and stole the show because he's awesome.

stratadp, SL_22, HoweFan and 4 others like this.
  13. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Oof...so true brother.

14. monty

monty Member

Killer player, wish he found something else after WL. Quite a talent.

HoweFan, FusionRock, rauchman and 2 others like this.
  15. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Vito's use of the Steinberger Trans-Trem on that song is so unreal. To this day I can use the trem for a little dive bomb and chord vibrato here and there. But Vito was just so dam musical when using the tremolo.

sahhas and Bankston like this.
  16. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Your new pub house band name:

stratadp, ntotoro, Telefunky and 5 others like this.
  17. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

And this could be the quote of the milllenium:

Gasp100, Telefunky, rauchman and 4 others like this.
  18. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

I have no idea who Vito Bratta is / was but this has to be a contender for post of the year. Preach!

19. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Check out the moves at 2:10 - mercifully the aural eyewash follows with Vito’s brilliant solo.

That solo, for my money, stands among the very best and, if he had never recorded anything else, it would be an enduring monument to his musicianship. (Kinda like Danny Cedrone’s solo in Rock Around the Clock). Sublime!

But those pants....?!! Nah, they don’t pass the sniff test.

20. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Love VB’s playing.

Listen to When the Children Cry; my friends and I would all sing it like Elmer Fudd, cause that’s exactly who Mike Tramp sings like. Once you mentally picture Elmer singing that tune to Bugs dressed as a lady, you’ll never not visualize that...

“Widdle chiwld, dwry you crywin eyes...”

AZG, madmarcus1960, Gilky and 10 others like this.