Vito Bratta

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pidgin English, Aug 6, 2019.

1. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

In a weird way guitar playing as moved backwards since then. It’s just different with different values now.

stratadp and John 14:6 like this.
  2. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Your simile is a laughable over-reach.

rauchman, sev_reed and Bluesful like this.
  3. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

ridiculous. couldn't possibly care any less about this guy, i don't think i want anything of his. seriously can't believe you "guitar hero" guys that listen to several album's worth of throw-away music by dozens of bands just to hear a guitar solo. whichever guy that you saw featured in some magazine or on MTV thirty years ago. it's one of the oddest/creepiest habits i've seen.

4. cr7r9

cr7r9 Member

Hold up, Don Dokken had a crystal clear singing voice that he had perfected by their last 80s studio record into something mature, melodic, free and youthful all at the same time. On the earlier and un-released Dokken tunes, like the original "Paris", and "Going Under" he can scream like Rob Halford, his voice was much looser. Stephen Pearcy had a decent enough, high-pitched rough street growl that accents Ratt's overall midnight-in-LA back alley vibe. Sure, with a voice like (much like Jon Bon Jovi touring non-stop singing Livin' On a Prayer every other night), it's going to wear out quick and sounded it's best on Ratt's first LP while it was still fresh, but still. I haven't heard anyone sound like Pearcy, it's a unique cool that works great with Ratt's sound. Which brings me to my second point, neither Warren nor Stephen were nothing without each other. After Ratt they didn't do much of interest. They were musicians who belonged together because they developed a great and unique sound off of eachother. I think I recall Warren saying they recorded most of their work live in the studio all playing together in the room. Can't say the same about Dokken, and with George, he did great work with the Wicked Sensation album with Oni Logan, as Lynch could continue his own sound.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    John 14:6 and freedom's door like this.
  5. cr7r9

cr7r9 Member

The music might be throw-away, but the guitar leads aren't. We're guitar players so we enthuse in listening to guitar playing we might think is excellent. It's not that hard to understand.

6. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Just YouTubed Wait.

The song - :barf

The solo - :aok :banana :drool :dude :love:

55goldtop and Stike like this.
  7. sev_reed

sev_reed Member

yeah, that was what I was going for ;)

stratadp likes this.
  8. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Scott Wenzel

John Hurtt likes this.
  9. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Could you imagine if Vito was around a few years earlier and available when Randy died?

10. SimonBSinister

SimonBSinister Silver Supporting Member

Vito was around at that time and was more well known than Zak was when he got the gig... He certainly was as known as Jake just on the east coast. Dreamer were a major cover band in 1980 and 1981 and Vito was a very well known guitarist. Dreamer would draw 2000 people when they played L'amours on a weekend Zak on the other hand played in Zyris which was never a major band even with Zak...

PBGas and T Dizz like this.
  11. Stike

Stike Member

I think his point was more is a good/great solo worth sitting through a lame song/lame vocals to get to. I did it a fair amount as teen in the 80s, I can't really do it anymore which is why I don't listen to modern/pop/bro country.

ejecta and A-Bone like this.
  12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I did quite a bit of that when I started playing in my teens because I was convinced it would help me to jumpstart my chops and ear and all. Put in quite a bit of time trying to learn and learning to play songs I wouldn't have otherwise listened to. Still recall working on two hand tapping for hours at a time. Then I had an epiphany when I realized I'd never want to play or sound like that, so I quit and focused on music I liked.

drlucky, WordMan and godotzilla like this.
  13. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

I love how he's a total shredder and unlike total shredders, he keeps it musical. Not much worse than someone who can shred but it's just playing notes really fast with no musical flow or context. It's just, "look how fast I can play."

rauchman likes this.
  14. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

the guy can write a catchy hook.

15. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

White Rain would be a great name for a hair-metal cover band.

uab9253, ntotoro, PBGas and 2 others like this.
  16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Its also the stuff they use to wash the Aqua Net out at the end of the night!
    [​IMG]

stratadp, drlucky, PBGas and 4 others like this.
  17. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

That's at least half the reason that it fits - it's a hair product name for a hair product act. But why use Aqua Net?
    [​IMG]

A-Bone and T Dizz like this.
  18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I don't disagree. Just maybe too harsh a denouncement. I dig a lot of music with pretty technical guitar solos (Paul Gilbert, Winery Dogs, Richie Kotzen) but the songs have to be great for me to listen. Then again I love a lot of music without any guitar whatsoever...

What music and artist do float your boat?

19. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

On Vito Bratta - yup a guitarist that stood out in that era. Not a fan of the vocalist for his band... but I assumed with his weak voice he'd be terrible live. I looked up some youtube of them not too long ago... he was a solid singer. Surprising.

20. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

:beer

Whiskeyrebel likes this.