Vito Bratta

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pidgin English, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

I think somebody needs a hug.

2. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

Love Vito. He’s a rare player than can be melodic and unpredictable at the same time

3. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

Yeah. At times he came pretty close to copping Ed's feel and melody - especially when he'd solo without rhythm guitar underneath.

John 14:6 and aynirar27 like this.
  4. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Whoa...! Whitecross reference on The Gear Page. He also had a hotshot guitar player in Rex Carroll, saw that band a bunch of time over the first few albums they released.

Pidgin English, John 14:6 and T Dizz like this.
  5. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

I don't agree that his vocals were horrible, but I did think the combination of Vito's playing with his singing style was very bubblegum and objected to it being promoted as metal. If Tramp had sung with a band with a lot rawer, harder sound, it would have balanced better, and if Bratta had been in a band with a singer who was more of a belter, someone with a little snarl and growl, it would have balanced better.

As far as Elmer Fudd, it's more like Elmer Fudd crossed with Carol Channing (Hello Dolly). If Carol did an Elmer Fudd impression, or if Arthur Bryan (the voice actor of the Fudd character) did a Carol Channing impression, the combination would be close to Tramp's vocal mannerisms.

uab9253 likes this.
  6. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I don't know the time frame of the demise of WL and when he had to start caring for his elderly parents , but it's too bad he couldn't have found a band to play in after WL....

John II likes this.
  7. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

omg...i saw the "widdle chiwid...." and just started laughing....that is so funny...
    elmer fudd singing:
    [​IMG]
    “Widdle chiwld, dwry you crywin eyes...”

8. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Even better is the rhythm playing in that song. Very nuanced and full of arpeggiated chords that just really work well with one another and the single-note stuff in the verses. Shame that it's such a banal song other than the playing LOL!

uab9253 and buddaman71 like this.
  9. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

If you really wanna bust a gut, imagine Elmer singing "Symphony Of Destruction"

Just wike da pied pipuh
    Wed wats fwough da stweets...

10. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

I believe that was around the time of "Big Game," but he was using a Tube Screamer into a Plexi before that ("Pride" and earlier). Not sure what he used live, but his sound really changed when he went Steinberger/EMG/ADA and I really didn't believe for the better.

uab9253 and sahhas like this.
  11. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I played NYC mid 70's- 80's and played a few shows with Vito. Never got to talk with him as im a prude, lol. He was in a band named Dreamer at that time and honestly he did nothing for me then. A few years later I see him in WL and damn the guy got a ton better.....Vito Rocks

Pidgin English likes this.
  12. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

He had the ADA setup when I saw him, killer tone. He used a strat of some sort too, in addition to the Steinberger.

13. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

From the Wikipedia article:

Currently he's 58 years old so time is ticking. I wonder if his parents are still alive at this point as they have to be very old if they are.
    If he's still taking care of them he really is quite a special and unique person since not everyone has the capability or energy to do that.

If he injured his wrist and never got it sorted or physical therapy things may only get worse or maybe he just needs an electric guitar with the thickness of a classical neck - super thin shredder necks kind of bother me too since playing for long periods seems to require more pressure (I have large hands - maybe that's a reason - contorting them to fit a smaller neck can be problematic).

His playing was very fluid and melodic during the shred era. The song was kind of pop ear candy and at the time I thought "Wait" was
    kind of a cotton candy pop tune made palatable by some filet mignon guitar. I guess time will tell.

ntotoro, sahhas and buddaman71 like this.
  14. rauchman

rauchman Member

While I very much like VB, I am 100% confident I am not influenced by him. I must be doing it wrong.

But I do know how to use toilet paper, sort of....

sev_reed likes this.
  15. gennation

gennation Member

I was a full time musician back in the 80s. Cutting my teeth during late 60s and 70s I absolutely hated 80s music with very few exceptions, and White Lion was NOT one of them. But, I still had to cover them because they were big for a couple of months.

Here’s one band I was with playing pWait. This was one night of many in 1988 or whenever the song came out, it was recorded off the sound board onto cassette at the time:

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Very nice!!!

17. jayman

jayman Member

Just in case anyone hasn't heard this yet. This is the last interview with Vito I'm aware of on Eddie Trunk back from 2007. Get's a bit into the White Lion split up, their last cd, his reason for leaving music, his influences. Definitely worth a listen.

18. RL2792

RL2792 Member

That is great! Awesome tone on the guitar solo. What were you using to get that tone?

John 14:6 likes this.
  19. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Can’t believe that interview was 12 years ago now! I remember it being a big deal, as there had already been a lot of online “what the hell happened to Vito Bratta?” talk, even then.

20. gennation

gennation Member

I believe it was my ‘79 Les Paul. The amp was definitely a Digitech GSP5 preamp/multieffect unit connected to a 50w QSC amplifier which I ran to a homemade 2x12 cabinet with greenback Celestions. All digital/solidstate, around 1987 I dumped all my Mesa, Fender, and Marshall amps and when full modular digital/solidstate.

If it wasn’t the LP it was a Kramer Pacer w/ a single Schaller humbucker and a Floyd Rose. But I don’t think I hear any whammy bar in it and it sounds pretty creamy.

RL2792 likes this.