Viva Jerzy Drozd: The Official Jerzy Drozd Thread!

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by mgrier1, Sep 19, 2008.

1. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

Let's kick off a thread to this fine Bass maker from Spain:

Just recently acquired this fine instrument from a TalkBass.com sale...

Jerzy Drozd Mastery V Specs:
    • Northern ash body
    • Flamed Mukaly top
    • 7 pc. Maple neck with wenge and bubinga stringers
    • Ebony fingerboard
    • Active 3-way OBP-3 electronics from Aguilar
    • JeDXS Jerzy Drozd pickups with wood covers
    • Wood control knobs
    • Fully adjustable bridge (height, distance, and spacing)
    • Easy quick-release strings tailpiece
    • Polyurethane satin finish
    • 35" scale
    • 24 frets
    • Weight: 9 lbs
    Photos courtesy of seller:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best,

Mike

2. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I've always wanted a Jerzy Drozd...since I saw one close up at a guitar show some years back. This one was being demo'd by a really good player through an Aguilar rig...absolutely sweet sounding!

That 5 of yours is a world class beauty and would definitely be my 1st pick...I have the fretted 4 string bass of my dreams already. (Fodera Victor Wooten Signature)

S.
    j

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I make it a point to play these every time I see them at NAMM. Stunning craftsmanship to say the least.

4. Thor

Thor Member

This particular bass is one of my favorite JDs!! I sometimes find them a bit over-the-top for my tates, but this one is just so elegant without being guady (to me).

Enjoy that beauty - knowing JD basses, I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.

Cheers,

Edward

5. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

GORGEOUS....CONGRATS !!!! :drool

I saw that one over there on TB. Nice to see it's "in-state" ;)

6. Bass Viking

Bass Viking Member

That's flippin' beautiful! It also looks very comfortable to play, nice contours on the body.

7. mgrier1

Okay this one has been in the house for a few days so I feel I can give it a credible playing report w/o the complete honeymoon gloss treatment.

Quibbles: The active electronics can get a bit "clinical" with the treble boost towards the high side (there is an individual knob for the treble, mid, and bass frequencies). Once tamed, the sounds are flexible and can be as girthy as needed given the player's requirements.

Setup has proven a bit difficult: I snapped a low B string right as I pulled it out of the case and attempted to bring things up to tune. Quick trip to Git Center and new pack of DR taper wound stainless and I was basically committed to a new setup. Only one truss rod (some JD's have two) but still it is taking a bit to get the new strings bedded in and the action set appropriately. It is still a bit high, but I have been working on it and it continues to get better. In all fairness this thing went from California to Florida and so that is always tough on an instrument.

Last drawback: Neck dive is definitely inherent in the design. Not horrendous by any stretch and it magically disappears when on the strap, in no small part due to the long upper horn.

Positives: Stunning workmanship and luthiery beyond any Bass I have owned or laid my hands on - it is positively gorgeous and the controls are well executed and laid out. Bridge is well conceived and tuners hold like a rock. Ebony fingerboard is nearly 1/2" thick and looks like a fine bar of Vahlrona chocolate (70%)! Neck is a very thin (for a bass), flat 'D' shape and works very well for full access across the whole fingerboard - though if you are the type of player who lays the thumb over the top it could be perceived as ungainly - I lay the pad of my thumb right in the center of the neck and modulate up and down the neck as positional needs dictate.

Very resonant instrument and negates the traditional dead spots very well.

Slaps like a mofo... The low 'B' can wreck shop when played through my Aguilar DB750 - you will cut through any stack or triggered drummer - no issues there!

Design really grows on you and the 35" scale is more easily negotiated than many other basses I have played.

Did I say it looks gorgeous???

All in all a fine, fine instrument that I am very happy to own!

More pix when I get a moment...

Any other Jerzy Drozd owners out there?

Best,

Mike

8. mgrier1

Just grabbed this Mastery 6-stringer...

Gorgeous bass with etimoe back and birch top. Maple and wenge neck-thru design with Jerzy's luscious and very thick slab ebony fingerboard. Aguilar electronics driving Jerzy's own pups.

Looking forward to this one! If it plays anything like my JD 5-er it will be a winner...

Pix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best,

Mike

9. Thor

Thor Member

Nice score!!

Guess that first JD has been treating you well...

Looking forward to hearing how the 5er has worked out once you got it set up just right for you, as well as your impressions on this new 6er.

Congratulations,

Edward

10. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Bassists get all the cool hippie sandwiches!

11. ib2010

ib2010 Supporting Member

I've been "following" jerzy drozd basses for a while now.I think form and workmanship is excellent. I hope I can land one someday. Will be watching.

12. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Tell us about the 6 when you get the time in.

Also...MORE PIX PLEASE!!!!!! :dude

S.
    j