Vivian Campbell "Rainbow in the Dark"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ed84246, Apr 1, 2008.

1. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Anyone know what amp and/or pedals he used to get that incredible grinding tone on this song?

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Pretty sure the Holy Diver album was his 70's Les Paul Custom + JCM800. He also used a Boss EQ or Boss Overdrive for boosts but not both at the same time.

3. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

I thought it was a Les Paul Standard but you are right about the jcm800.

Bryan

4. jbird

jbird Member

FWIW, saw the video today, he was playing (or acting to play) some kinda red strat style guitar!

5. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Yeah, not a custom. Just found this quote

"And everyday on the way back from school, I’d stop in to the music shop. I walked in one day and the guy said, “Good news and bad news: The good news is we got a Les Paul. The bad news is that it’s not a gold standard, it is a wine red Deluxe.” So being an impatient teenager, I took it. First thing I did—showing my Rory Gallagher influences, I hate guitars that are shiny and new—so I took sandpaper to it and I rubbed all the shine out of the finish. I eventually painted it a matte black. That was the guitar I used on the Holy Diver album and tour with Dio. So that was my first Les Paul..."

http://www.gibson.com/backstage/200608/viviancampbell.htm

6. gearboy

gearboy Member

...that about sums it up....

7. sega

sega Member

I'll tell you a little story on Vivian Campbell.

While he was touring I'm not sure if it was 1986 or 87, I was playing in a club in Montréal(The Mustache), and he was playing the Montréal Forum wich was right across the street.

And I remember it was Friday night and a few of Dio's musicans ended up in the bar I was playing.

In between sets the soundman told us about them being in the club.
    It was fun to see that it was true.

As I finished cleaning myself(Yep, I sweat like a hog) I went to see him(Campbell).

It was easy to spot all the groupies were around them (Campbell and the bass player ...I don't recall his name, nice dude) cause they were having free drinks.

Yes that bass player was drinking a lot and having fun, sure Pamela the queen of the groupies was on his knees...

After seeing all these people I ended up asking him a question.
    The previous month I have read in the Guitar player or some magazine that he did not like Van Halen.
    So I ask him about that and he told me that he liked Eddie but the interviewer took it the wrong way(Yep, journalist...)
    Asked him to come onstage and gig (I was sure he was not that great anyway) and he kindly refused our offer.

So we got back onstage and the first thing we did is ''Ladies and gentleman we have here tonight Vivian Campbell and ''I cant remember his name...bass player) would you like to see them onstage?

Well of course they said yes, and they looked at each other and could'nt refuse.

The funny thing about the other guitarist that I used to play with is that he had great equipment but he ended up sounding bad.

So Vivian got onstage, took his guitar....dial some tone here and there and he....believe me sounded like Van Halen.

I was amazed as his technique and ease of playing.
    He was damn hot and I regretted saying any bad thing about him.

Very nice, sure he has a little attitude but that's the way some great players are.

They invited us for a soundcheck at the Forum the next day, but I declined....my friends ended up there and told me that when you play onstage (that was our bassplayer talking) you can feel the stage under your feet shake like crazy cause it's so loud.

And that was just the side-field monitor.

Gee, why did I not made it as a pro guitarist?
    You need a heard head and never take no as a answer.

There you are, by the way I went with Pamela....that nice chick with the red boots....she ended not being such a great....:drool

:BEER

8. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

I belive I read in a Guitar Player mag from back in the day that he used a black Gibson Les Paul standard loaded w/ a Dimarzio X2N pickup into a JCM 800 100 watt head and a Marshall 4x12 cab in the studio for Holy Diver.
    Live, he used Charvels with Duncan Custom pickups into JCM 800 100 watt heads w/ Marshall 4x12's wired to 4 ohms. For pedals he switched between a Boss OD-1 or a Boss EQ pedal but never used both at once.

9. mbake

mbake Member

Any more specifics on pedal settings?

10. ken374

ken374 Member

Rockin record for sure!, still have the vinal

11. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Boss EQ with mid-bump frown curve

12. rdodson

rdodson Supporting Member

Sega, interesting story.

When I was in the biz in a VERY small way in '89-'91, I was endorsed by a local (Dallas) guitar builder, who ended up having a booth at the Dallas Guitar Show. He asked me to come and demo the guitars throughout the day. Anyway, VC came by and we got to jam. He was very nice. I'm a Christian, so I asked him about his pre-Dio's band name, "Trinity." He said "I just thought it sounded cool" or somesuch. Vivian could really play, very pick-heavy. He really snapped those strings.

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Ten bucks says it was a randall solid state amp.:D

14. krall

krall Supporting Member

Twenty bucks it was a Crate solid state. :rotflmao

15. TonyBony

TonyBony Supporting Member

I think I remember reading that it was a Marshall JCM 800 with a Boss DS-1 for recording that album. On the Last in Line tour he used a Boss Overdrive and EQ.

16. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

You know, Vivian was one of my favorite players but in all honesty, his work on Riverdogs first release was as good as anything he did with Ronnie. Real tasty stuff.

17. teemuk

teemuk Member

Don't know if this was thrown around as a joke but Campbell used the Randall RG80's extensively, in both DIO and Def Leppard. It may have not been the amp of choice for Holy Diver sessions but you'll definitely hear solid-state Randall amps on albums Vivian participated on.
    [​IMG]
    :agree

18. Phil M

Phil M Member

I'm not one of those guys who freak over '80s hard rock, but Rainbow in the Dark is some seriously badass Marshall tone. He sounds hungry like he's simultaneously out to prove something and exorcising demons. I can't relate to whatever the f Dio is singing about but I can relate to THAT.

19. AkrW

AkrW Member

20. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

In an old Guitar Player mag he said it was a LP Custom with a Duncan Invader into a JCM 800 with GT rating #1 El34's....Boss SD-1 and a Marshall cab @ 4ohms.

On the next album it was a Boogie of some sort then finally Randall RG's.

Like everyone else back then he probably had a PQ3 at some point.