Voc ac4 issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by earwax, Mar 27, 2015.

1. earwax

earwax Member

Recently having some issues with both my vox ac4's

1. my ac4tv is having an issue that after about 10-15 minutes it gets this quiet ugly distortion sound no matter what the volume is or if it is in 1/4 watt mode or 4 watt mode. If I turn it off for 10 seconds and then back on the sound goes away for another 10-15 minutes more or less. I replaced the pre-amp tube so far but the shop didn't have an el84 and I am 14 hrs away from anyone who will repair amps. So I have ordered an el84 to give that a shot.

2. the second ac4 I have is the recent handwired edition. This one has some sort of volume issue after a bit of playing it sort of fades to a thinner and quiter sound without distorting and then back in again. I have swapped the preamp tube on this one as well.

I am hoping that this a tube issue but maybe that is wishful thinking for an easy solution. Any suggestions?

2. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

Volume fluctuations (#2) sound like a power tube issue. I would put a new EL84 in your AC4 hand wired.

3. thousanium

thousanium Member

I think I had something similar happen with my AC4TV, I would get a quiet distortion/crackle which would come and go. Turned out there was a wire arcing and if I looked down the grill I could see a tiny spark when it happened.

4. earwax

earwax Member

well I don't see any wires that could be arcing.

I have switched around the preamp and power tubes and that doesn't seem to solve anything.

I was always using the low gain input on the vox ac4hw1 and I switched to the high and the volume fluctuations have dissappeared on that input.

It's hard to decide what to do with the ac4tv since I bought it only for $100. PCB's seem to make it hard to figure out what could be wrong.

5. earwax

earwax Member

Figured out the AC4Hw1. Seems so painfully obvious now. The low gain input jack is is failing. Glad its something simple.

6. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

I think I have the same issue with mine, though I use the high input. I would like to get it rectified. What is the fix?

Thanks,
    Jay

7. earwax

earwax Member

Well I haven't fixed it yet. I was going to just solder in a new jack. I haven't looked to see if it's that complicated yet.

8. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

OK. Please keep us posted.
    Thanks. :)