1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vocal Mic

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by lester, Feb 5, 2005.

1. lester

lester Guest

Hi again
    As I said before, in my quest of building a nice home studio, I have a budget left of 400$. I thought of getting a nice Vocal condenser, and a SM57 or some mic to put in front of my amplifier, and probably a nice DI.

My gear includes two Infinity passive speakers and a Yamaha RX-396 amplifier. Mackie 1402 VLZ pro, M-audio Delta 1010 into a nice AMD based DAW, and 3 Samson dynamics. My goals are upright piano recording, guitar amplifier recording, and recording Lead Vocal. If you could help me find the optimal Vocal Condenser under the budget I have mentioned I would be very pleased.

Thanks
    Lester

2. Paul Secondino

Paul Secondino Member

For male vocals, a used AKG C-1000 would be acceptable for a small diaphragm mic. But it sounds harsh on female vocals. A used Audio Technica 4040 is a great bang for the buck large diaphragm consdenser that would sound decent on male vocal and better on female.

If you can afford it, the Shure KSM32 is a nicely priced do it all 3/4 diaphragm condenser. I've heard acceptably good results with it on male and female vocals, acoustic guitar, and overheads.

Then there's lots more options depending on exactly what response you want from a mic and how much money you can ultimately part with.

3. lester

lester Guest

I'm looking out to recording both male and female vocals, mostly male, my first choice was the 4040, and also thought of one of the Studio Projects vocal condensers, probably the valvestated one. My ultimate goal is a warm thick sounding mic, versitile enough to have both soft female vocals, and also tough rock sounding male voice, warmth is the key. Also I am planing on getting a Neumann 103 by the end of spring, and my budget is limited so I'll throw around 280$ on this one.

Thanks
    Lester

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Ditto on the KSM32. Very flexinle, and would probably cut the upright nicely as well. Also, look at Rode.

The Blue Baby Bottle is within your budget, and i actually dug mine a good bit for my voice, elec guitar, bass, and some percussion stuff. A bit dark, though, and not verstaile enuf to be your main condenser, imo.

5. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I've got a piar of KSM32's, and I gotta say i'm not that happy with them for vocals, male or female. They are useful for other allplications though.

6. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

SM& Review

You might want to consider the Shure SM7B. About $320 new street price and great for vocals and miking amps..... Visit the link above for some candid and experienced opinions....:D

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

FYI, Bono records his vocals for U2 with a Shure SM58 dynamic in the control room which he uses handheld, and not on a mic stand (there was an interview with his engineer in one of the mags)!

The Edge's acoustic guitar and backing vocals are often done in the control room as well, with the engineer moving the mic in front of the guitar and up to the face and back down!

U2 are no slouches.

While I like a large diaphragm condenser, esp. for female vocals, it's hard to argue with using whatever is effective. :)

8. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

You could probably find a used BLUE Baby Bottle for $400 or less - great all-purpose mic.

--chiba

9. lester

lester Guest

Thanks for the replies, I really appriciate your patience, really. Now my options have limited down between the Studio Projects mics and the Audio Technica, most of the have a similar frequency response, which of them would you buy for Male and a bit of female vocals (also some upright piano) recordings? warmth by the way is the key

Thank you all
    Nimrod

10. jbright44

jbright44 Member

The Rode mics are fantastic mics. Great price great sound and lots of features for the little bit of money that they cost (relatively speaking). I've recorded with the NT1 several times and it is really really good.

11. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

+1. I bought a sm7b after doing a bunch of research. I'm using it for male vox and It's working out great. haven't used it on guitar amps (I have a royer 121 that I'm using for that) but I am very happy so far with the sm7b, esp. for the money.