vocal monitoring just for me, live

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by turbodogfish, Mar 4, 2015.

1. turbodogfish

turbodogfish Member

i just started singing backup harmonies in my band. i'm wondering if there has been any innovation in vocal monitoring in the past 20 years since i last had to do this in a band :p

where we play, there's usually only one vocal monitor, and that goes to the lead singer of course. while i can hear that, it's not optimal. is there anything out there that will let me personally monitor myself? i keep envisioning that there's gotta be some kind of like iphone thing or belt pack that lets me wear a discreet mic and play it back immediately into an in ear or just a simple isolating ear bud that i can put in one ear.

any ideas?

2. ceeinwa

ceeinwa Member

Rolls makes a unit called the PM50s.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J14G7OO

Your mic plugs into it, then goes to the snake or desk. You'll need to split the output of the monitor send. That also plugs into the Rolls unit. Finally, your earbuds plug in and you then have level control over your mic and the monitor mix.

It's a lowish cost way to get multiple monitor mixes from a single monitor mix desk. The one monitor mix from the desk would be set close to the house mix, then each singer would have this device and adjust their own vox to their desired level.

If you don't have a set, I recommend Shure SE215. Good sound, excellent fit for most people.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Buy your own active speaker. Plug your mic into it and run its through to the mixer.

Or upgrade your mixer to something with multiple monitor mixes. Analog mixers are pretty cheap these days.

4. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

i use one of these clipped onto my mic stand. the vocal processing is nice on these too (although you don't have to use it).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FX150

it's not super loud but for my situations, i've never had it up past halfway.

5. turbodogfish

turbodogfish Member

great ideas folks - thanks a lot! the rolls looks particularly interest since it's about as cheap as it gets and very simple.

6. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

I started with the Rolls device and it works very well. They sell a bracket so you can attach it to your mic stand. I will say that the wires will annoy you after a while. I eventually went to wireless in ears and am happy as a clam. (How would one know if a clam were happy?)
    Anyway, once you go with any in ear monitoring system, well, it's tremendous.

Best
    Ron

7. ceeinwa

ceeinwa Member

I think the Rolls unit could be used with a wireless IEM.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Get a decent powered 12" speaker.

9. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

I have one of these, as does the lead singer in one of my bands. Great little unit, and will do exactly what you want for like $70!

10. ercguitar

ercguitar Supporting Member

I came here to say this. Simplest solution and it won't cause anything weird for whoever is running your sound.

EDIT: Be sure to get one that actually has a mic preamp built in. The lowest end ones do not, but can easily be had for $200-250 new, or less used.

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

This is the single best investment I have made for my singing...

An RCF ART 710a MkII 10" 700watt monitor...this thing is so good that I plan on buying a couple more of these or the 712 12" version to use as my PA for small venues for my trio and acoustic shows...

12. turbodogfish

turbodogfish Member

wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. i went with the Rolls pm351 and some DIY in-ears and it worked fabulously. i actually also used a behringer ultra g to plug in my amp directly to the Rolls and it worked great!!!!