Vocal PA Recommendations <$1000

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by fridgit, Jan 28, 2012.

1. fridgit

fridgit Member

I posted this over on HC as well, just looking to get as many opinions/options as possible.

I am currently looking for a vocal PA to cover my needs for a rock cover band as well as a prog rock/metal (LOUD) band. This would be mostly for rehearsals and potentially for small gigs.

I need both mixer and speakers.

I'd like to spend less than $1000 if at all possible. Is this even realistic?

Please help!!!

2. hendrixstrat

hendrixstrat Member

I just bought a pair of Harbinger powered 12's on musicians friend for $300.00.I found them in the used section with some cosmetic damage, so I saved $100.00 on the pair..I run them out of my analog mixer, but you can plug into them directly if you choose..They have an onboard eq..There are probably better brands, but these work fine..

3. 335guy

335guy Member

What many bands do for a PA with limited funds is buy a powered mixer and a couple of speakers on stands. In that price range ( under 1K ) that's not going to buy you anything new that's very good. I'd suggest a used Yamaha EMX512SC powered mixer and Yamaha S115V speakers. I think you should be able to find those used for under a grand, with maybe a little left over for some monitors as well.

4. pete100199

pete100199 Member

+1 Yamaha EMX512SC powered mixer and Yamaha S115V speakers. Been using mine for years with no issues.

5. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

good call on the yami stuff though I'd suggest the 12s vs the 15s. Vocals sound a little clearer and when you move up, they make good monitors.

6. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i have a set of 4 of the 15" yamaha speaker/wedges that i'd sell you if you are anywhere near me.

7. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I am sure you could locate an older, used PA setup for that kind of money.
    Most bands I know have loud amps and only need a PA for vocals.
    If that's the case, I would avoid the 15" speaker varieties. They just tend to muddy up the vocals. The best mains I have heard have a horn, 6" midrange and 12" speakers.
    The human voice sits in the high & mid range.

8. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Older Peavey gear. Heavy, loud and cheap.

dk

9. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Carvin. There's always good deals on their used stuff, and it's built like a tank.

10. fridgit

fridgit Member

Cool! Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have been looking at a couple of PA package deals, such that include powered mixers like the Yamaha EMX512SC, Yorkville M810 and the Peavey XR 8300/8600.

Just recently, my cover band rented a Yorkville MP6D (325 watts) mixer with 2 Yorkville YX12 speakers that covered our band rehearsals and a very small outdoor gig just fine. Again, we used this system for VOCALS ONLY and it did it's job. I am looking at the above mixers that I listed because they have a little more power than the MP6, which did a good job, but we were really pushing it.

I'm leaning more and more towards the Yamaha EMX512 the more I research in my price range.

BTW - GREAT info on the 12's vs the 15's. I would not have known that!

11. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

+1.

12. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

12's vs. 15's
    assuming you are using 18" subs, go for the 12" tops. 18" subs with 15" mids is just an ugly sounding combo in my opinion. a lot of guys like 15's for the stage monitors, but frankly, i'd stick with the 12's even for stage wedges, simply because of the difference in clarity between them and 15's. the only time i could see 15's being an advantage is if you are running a system with no subwoofers. the 15's will give you a bit more thump than the 12's will in this scenario.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I also have the EMX512sc. Great mixer. No Aux outs though, so very little room for expanding on it. If I had it to do over again I might look for a used Mackie CR1604 and a power amp. Or maybe a 808s.

14. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Yes, 12's with the subs... or 15's with no subs.

15. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Used is cheapest but otherwise Carvin makes good stuff at reasonable prices.