• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

vocal removing machine or gizmo to play along

Major Twang

my thing is to play along with artist on me he-man hi-fi rig in the confort of my home...i like to sing along, play harp and guitar...

i like to put a cd on and sing and play guitar through one of my guitars and amps...

is there a machine or gizmo that would remove the singer's part on the cd and keep the rest of the band's sound intact...so i could replace him?

any info would be appreciated...:bow

Mike Fleming

do you have any kind of recording rig? The typical way to remove a lead vocal is to flip phase on one of the stereo channels, and then sum them to mono. That's because lead vocals are often pretty straight down the center, and will cancel out pretty well with this process. A little EQ can help on what's left.

If you don't have a recording rig... i'm pretty sure some karaoke-oriented equipment has vocal-remove features, which is usually just a feature that does the process mentioned above.

Mike Fleming

And hey, if you don't have recording software on your computer yet, there is a lot of free/cheap software that will do this. Reaper is an excellent recording suite with unlimited try-before-buy, and is only 60 dollars when you pay for it.

Audacity is just plain free, and I believe it can do the reverse phase/sum to mono too.

Major Twang

thanks fot the tip Mike,

in the last 10 years, with internet, i've learned how to build amps, refret a guitar etc but, still cannot work out Garage Band...

i can e-mail and shoot for the forums but...

i must seriously sit down and work on those recording software...

Major Twang

i just found videos showing the technique on You Tube for Audacity and others, as per Mike's recommendation...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom