Vocal Setup Advice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Longer, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Longer

Longer Silver Supporting Member

Hi guys!
    Need some advice on my live vocal setup for an Indi hard rock type band.
    The issue is the volume range between my low & high voice.
    When the low voice comes out nice, the high voice is too loud.
    No sound guy, all self set.
    Playing guitar, hitting pedals, rocking out, proper mic technique is not an option. :-(
    Looking at a DBX 160a Compressor / Limiter to squash the volume range a bit.
    Good idea?
    Bad idea?
    Got a better idea?
    Thanks!

2. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Can't pull back a bit for the higher notes?

3. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Proper mic technique might seem like a pain in your ass, but at least consider that there may be a better mic for your purposes. Consider different pickup patterns, sensitivity, proximity effect, etc. There's an ideal mic for every voice.

Make sure your gain staging is correct. Try to set everything so that your lower level sits where you want it, and then you'll know that your louder/higher parts are going to get over the band. Maybe that'll help you feel comfortable about not eating the mic on the louder parts. Having a lot of your own voice in your monitor can also help you mix your own vocal level on the fly via proximity and such.

Longer likes this.
  4. loudboy

loudboy Member

3 or 4:1 ratio, quick attack, medium release, set so that it takes 4-6dB off when you get on it.

Done this for 20 years, in every band I've ever worked with. Sits the vox right on top, never had a complaint from talent or audience.

Longer likes this.
  5. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

Playing guitar, hitting pedals, rocking out, proper mic technique is not an option. :-(

I call shenanigans. Hundreds of players out there Playing guitar, hitting pedals, rocking out, with proper mic technique.

6. Longer

Longer Silver Supporting Member

I know Mic technique and / or Vocal technique is the best and most proper solution.
    But at this time, I'd like to find out if a compressor / limiter could be helpful.
    Thanks!