Vocals not sitting in the mix

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by partytrain, Sep 19, 2005.

1. partytrain

partytrain Member

I'm running into a few vocal roadblocks with my current recording project. I'm having problems mixing the vocals with the music. They just don't seem to be sitting in the mix right. They are either too soft getting drowned out by the music, or they are too loud. I just can't seem to get them to sit in the mix in any way that I am satisfied with. I know that mixing is a very complex issue, and it's not really something that can be explained on a forum, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things that worked well for them.

Just to give you an idea, the music I'm recording is basically tons of loud guitars (think smashing pumpkins) with 3 part harmonies on the vocals.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

2. monstermike

monstermike Member

Get yourself a nice compressor or the plug-in version thereof. It's almost impossible to fit the human voice into a big rock mix without it.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'll second that - smack the snot out of it w/a compressor. 6, 12, heck even 20dB of reduction. <g> You won't hear it in a hard rock mix.

Loudboy

4. covert

covert Member

Compression can certainly help. Cutting away some of the guitars in the 2k area, where vocal intelligibility is generated may also help. Another trick could be to put a compressor on the mix as a whole, and set it so that it's just barely happening without the vocals. The hit it pretty hard with the vocals.

5. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

You need to compress the Vox.
    Or, you could try doing automation, you know, ride the faders!
    Good luck...:dude

6. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    Here's a HUUUUGGEE vote for fader riding. Heavy compression can eat away at the top end of the sound. Either get your vocalist to learn to work the mic or gather the patience to work the fader. I do use some light compression on some vocalists. I never smash it unless I'm looking for the sound of that effect.

Ride Ride Ride! We've all gat automation. Don't be afraid.

+1 on the selective EQ idea to. Just what's covering up the vocal. Is there an instrument in the same range? something covering the intelligability?

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

+1

8. Antero

Antero Member

+2 on those. Overcompressing is a good way to get a tiring, dead sound. EQ is important as heck.

Also, what was being used to record the vocals in the first place?