Vodoo amp mods.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr.Mavashi, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Dr.Mavashi

Dr.Mavashi Member

Standard/Deluxe/Custom, Add ons:Bottom boost, mids slice, etc. - any proud Vodoo tonalogists here? Reviews, openions, etc. BTW, anyone here had their Laney AOR 50 moded with a standard mod, any clips?

2. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

I asked this same question about a month ago!
    Particularly for VooDoo mods done on Marshall amps and got no responces!
    Couldn't belive it!!:eek:
    Good Luck, I'll keep an eye out on this thread.

3. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

I don't think that you'll get many responses or direct experiences around here, but I may be wrong. There are other forums that talk about Voodoo a lot, but I don't recall seeing much talk around here.

4. Dr.Mavashi

Dr.Mavashi Member

5. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

Try over at HC or just call Voodoo. They are very helpful and have clips that you can listen too. I have never heard of anyone complain about them though.

6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

this was sent to va and modded:

[​IMG]

i will talk about it later, i have to run now

7. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

8. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

Here's a review I submitted a while back on another forum:

Scale of 1-10: 8. I would go to 7 also, b/c it was more $$$ than I wanted to spend

Just to clarify...My rating is objective in the sense that it's an improvement to the stock tone by 8/10. To me, only the higher-end, unmodded, boutique **** is worth giving 9's or 10's, and I wouldn't give anything a 10 b/c nothing's perfect, but some may read it as, "It's perfect for my needs."

The Voodoo DSL Deluxe made a significant, audible and more pleasing difference to me. I get so many compliments from sound guys, band members, and dudes from other bands who say they've never heard a a newer Marshall's sound that good, tight and in control. Opinions will vary. I had one sound guy tell me he has a collection of Marshall's at home and he couldn't believe what he was hearing out of my DSL.

New marshall's are not known for being particularly organic, like the older Marshall's. Mine is much more organic than a stock DSL. I hear what organic sounds like now, but before I only heard people use the term, most commonly with boutique or vintage amps. It's not as organic maybe a point to point wired amp, but it has A LOT more feel and audible tone.

Soundwise, both channels are just better. There is still the difference in bass when you switch from Green to Red, with Red having less. The amp already has versatility, Voodoo just makes it better and able to stand out more. You'll never have a problem cutting through, and frankly the Green Channel is tremendous, but especially with using different types of boosts.

I have two friends, each with a DSL: mine has more gain, more volume, more headroom, more clarity, and more versatility. They both agree, but it did cost me slightly more than I wanted to pay, but again, new lower prices.

Was it worth it?? Yes, b/c at the time it was the only option. I couldn't afford a Rocca or Splawn for that hot rodded Marshall sound. I love my sound and when I get it on top of a 4x12 and rip a D or G chord, it just sings and I'm telling you, people turn around and notice. It's loud!!!

I'm not a Voodoo disciple at all in the sense that I'm a fanboy. There are other ways to get the sound you want. Voodoo may or may not be for you, but it was certianluy for me. I may hold onto it forever, I may not. By nature I crave variety, but I intend to keep this in my arsenal forever. I just bought a Budda SD30II basically for the hell of it and I wanted something different with a little less power.

The DSL already sounded good enough, imo. Can you get a great sound of stock? Sure! Tubes, cabs, pups, EQ's, especially EQ's in the loop, all help. Also, people dial in what sounds good to them, but to others it may sound like ****. Some people are Noobs and don't know how to dial in a good tone for ****, while others are huggers and don't want to recognize that anything new on the market is capable of putting out a really good tone that's reflective of the best amps of yesteryear and folklore.

But there's that organic quality that I think is missing from stock that you can't get unless you have some work done to it. One has to hear it to believe the difference.

Bottom line, you can do things with a modded amp that you can't do stock. Opinions will vary on how good b/c it's all based on ear and we're all different.

Here's a good example...I didn't like the JVM when I tried it at guitar center. I liked the high gain sound, and the clean sound was good too, but it didn't have an organic sound. BUT, someone recently posted a clip from homevideo where it sounded good for his purpose, and it piqued my interest to rethink the JVM. I don't need one b/c my DSL get's all that gain now. *****I will say that my DSL did not have as much ARTICULATE gain before the Voodoo mod. I can crank the gain and it won't get fizzy or muddy like it did pre-mod, so now I have more gain on tap.
    What worked best for me, may not be worth it to someone else.

Try one for yourself. I'm in Dallas; you're welcome to cruise by anytime to try it if you're ever in my area.

Oh yeah, Trace exhudes exemplary customer service. He will spend time with you and treat you like family...always.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. countandduke

countandduke Member

I have a Voodoo V-Plex 50 watter and I think it's one of the best sounding "plexi" style amps out there. Meticulously wired and very very clean inside. Trace is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and pretty darn quick to respond to emails. If he doesn't respond same day it for SURE will be the next day.

I've never heard anyone complain about them at all. They really are a great company and Trace is very very knowledgeable and honest...

Take care.

Chris

10. Guitar Adjuster

Guitar Adjuster Member

I recently had my Mesa Dual Rec Voodoo Modded with a Deluxe mod and WOW what a difference, it much more articulate, no fizzy or muddy distortion and still retains that hugh low end. The clean were much better as well, more chimney. Single notes and cords really stand out with this mod. I was very impressed and would have Voodoo do it again in a heart beat. I plan on sending in my DSL to have that modded as well.

11. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

+1

I recently got to play a Dual Rec with a Standard mod (w/o trans) done and what a difference! I'm not much of a Boogie guy except for the one tone it did for me, I'm more partial to Marshalls. But if my old Dual Rec sounded like way it did with a Voodoo mod I would have never sold it. Its really that good! What's scary is that the Dlx and Cst mods are just going to better.

Trace is a cool dude and great to work with. I've delt with him in the past but never got to do a mod. I do remember that of all his mod clips, his Mesa stuff sounded the best and now I've heard it for myself in person. I'm thinking of eventually getting a Dual or a Roadster and get a mod done in the future.

Now if Guitar Adjuster would let me try his Dual Rec with the Dlx mod...

:banana

12. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

I have a 1972 Traynor YSR-1 head that was modded by Trace. Sounds excellent. OEI tranny, mids with a boost, removed the reverb, added a Master, and a Cream circuit. Cost me $480 to have done. Nice work, great tone. Very loud for what I do now, so it's for sale.

13. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I had a Vibrochamp that had the full Voodoo Witchdoctor mod. It had the Witchdoctor 3-12ax7 pre-amp mod, dual rectifiers, 1/2 power "variac" switch and something else that I can't remember. It was a beast and sounded great. It was my main amp for over a year and I sold it in a moment of stupidity.

Mike

14. obscured

obscured Member

I have a Marshall JCM 900 4500 (50 Watt Dual Reverb) that I had Voodoo modded a while back. It sounded a lot better when I got it back, but I still wasn't super pleased with it. However, once I tried it with a different cab (Roccaforte 2x12 w/Emi Governors as opposed to my Marshall 4x12 w/V30's) it took on a completely different vibe. It went from being too bright and lacking in low end to having just the right amount of cut and bottom. Who knows, if I had tried it with a different cab first I might not have bought my Rocca rig.