Voided your warranty? "Illegal" tweaks that pay off!

downburst82

Just though it might be interesting to have a thread about simple tweaks that can be done by opening up your pedal and fiddling around.
Im not thinking about replacing/adding parts or functions mods as there are already lots of threads for that stuff. More along the lines of internal trimpots or switches that technically aren't meant to be touched.

Inspired by my recent purchase of a Red Witch Ruby Fuzz.
I got the pedal and didnt mind the tone but there was a volume drop (common complaint with the ruby).
I really wanted it to work for me Because it fits perfectly in the tiny space I have left on my board and I'm out of power outlets of my power supplies so the rechargeable battery is actually really useful.
I didnt want to give up on it so I did some digging and found mention of two secret minipots inside the pedal. To get to them you have to totally take the pedal apart (which technical voids the warranty) once you find them (they are tiny!!) the one on the left adjusts the output/fuzz sputter..look a little testing to get the balance right but I managed to get a perfect output volume and it also changed the tone of the fuzz slightly in a way I love!

So anyone else have similar secret tweaks they have had success with?

Last edited:

tobereleased

In the case of the Ruby, that's actually recommended by red witch, and I'm pretty sure that adjusting the trimmers doesn't void their warranty. Their promo material for a lot of their pedals mention adjustable trimmers inside.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
First thing you do when purchasing a MXR phase 90, is cut out the R28.
It's not even a mod, it's a must :D
Since I never/rarely buy new, warranty is pretty irrelevant, but the is a good one. I have done it a few times without even plugging it in. A couple times, it was already clipped.

Boss TR-2 older version needs a trim pot added (it is already on the new ones). I actually still have a couple spare trim pots.

If the pedal has dip switches or labeled trimmers, I seriously doubt their use would affect a warranty. Breaking a solder joint, however. Yes.

OiRogers

First thing you do when purchasing a MXR phase 90, is cut out the R28.
It's not even a mod, it's a must :D
Thats a new one to me... I even have a MXR Phase 90 sitting unused.

Is the R28 the same mod in the "Script" version of the 90?
Edit: It would appear (thanks google!) that the Script version has no need of that mod?

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
What does this do?
takes the pillow of the high end.

If you use the SD-1 with a clean amp like I do, then the mod might help. But for pushing an amp with gain already on it, I would leave it be.

There is another mod I like to do as well - stock the SD-1 has the bass cut back a bit and by changing a cap you can make the bass even [what goes in is what comes out]. This will also void your warranty but is beyond the realm of what the OP asked. I'm also fond of the True Bypass mod as the buffer in this is a little weak and is known to "leak" if the gain is used high. Those three combined turn the stock SD-1 into a "flat" drive pedal, which is perfect for low gain or just breaking up tones.

downburst82

In the case of the Ruby, that's actually recommended by red witch, and I'm pretty sure that adjusting the trimmers doesn't void their warranty. Their promo material for a lot of their pedals mention adjustable trimmers inside.
Ya I after I posted this thread I found it does mention the the trimpots in the Ruby FAQ (but not in the instructions..go figure)...so ya maybe not so secret. Having said that the trims in the ruby are different than the ones in some of the other seven sisters pedals as you literally have to take the internals totally out of the case to access them...which they do say elsewhere voids your warranty...so who knows?

MIM#1

Boss PH-2 trim pot, tweek until its magic!
Joyo tremolo, tweek trimmer for more volume.

Way huge fat sandwich.......too many trim pots to figure out

coltonius

Señor Member
I'll play..

• External Tap
• Delay/Looper footswitch
• Onboard Expression
• Upgraded footswitches

• Upgraded footswitches
• Universal Tap Tempo (it's more of an internal mod, but it's there!)

Trending Topics