Volbeat's Cover of Metallica's "Don't Tread on Me"

Bankston

Two favorite TGP topics: (1) covers that are just as good or better than the original and (2) bands that make a cover "their own."

Volbeat's recent cover of "Don't Tread on Me" checks both those boxes for me. By adding their trademark swing, Volbeat put some energy into a trudging riff and the modulated clean lines in the chorus bring the melody to life. All while maintaining the same fist-pumping thrash of the original. It's the best cover of a Metallica song I've heard.

stratadp

I love this one. Can't wait to see Volbeat live this coming January.

At first I was a bit bummed that Michael chose this song, but it works really well in their style. They synth parts are the only thing I could do without, but they fit.

I was hoping they would do My Friend of Misery, but this will do :)

ZeyerGTR

I knew of them, but never really listened before. I dug it, although imho it's not that different from the original. At least not as different as, say, Ghost's "Enter Sandman."

I started digging into some of Volbeat's other stuff - great band! Love the their groove... my kind of metal. I know what I'm listening to today! \m/ \m/

wraub

I think his voice is perfect for when you want rock and roll Cher. :D

The cover in the OP is pretty good imo.

Jim85IROC

Silver Supporting Member
I never heard of these guys until they opened for Metallica back in 2011. I became an instant fan and I still am.

Bankston

Michael’s voice is a trip. It’s somewhere between Elvis and Hetfield.

Volbeat’s music has a broad range. From 50’s rock n’ roll to death metal. They’re a great band and Caggiano rips on lead guitar

stratadp

For those who might be new, they have definitely changed over the years. I could link dozens of songs that absolutely make you raise your fist and bang your head. Not big on the pop stuff from the last few albums, but this new one seems to be headed back in a heavier direction.

Here is one of my faves from about 16 years ago.

and 5 years later

Misterbulbous

Michael’s voice is a trip. It’s somewhere between Elvis and Hetfield.

Volbeat’s music has a broad range. From 50’s rock n’ roll to death metal. They’re a great band and Caggiano rips on lead guitar
Man, i love Caggiano. His work on Anthrax's Worship Music album needs more recognition. His new Jackson sig is really wonky though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom