Voltage Controlled Panning?

Resonance7

Hey all,

So I was listening to Miles Davis's album 'Jack Johnson' and it sounded like I heard a volume controlled panning effect going on, especially during John's guitar part.

Just to be clear...am I using the term Voltage Control correctly?

I want the panning to kick in only once a certain volume threashold has been reached.

Any way to achieve this via pedal form?

If not, anything other than studio-after-edits to achieve this in real-time?

Thanks!

Black_Label

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all,

So I was listening to Miles Davis's album 'Jack Johnson' and it sounded like I heard a volume controlled panning effect going on, especially during John's guitar part.

I want the panning to kick in only once a certain volume threashold has been reached.

Thanks!
I suppose you could pull off something like that with control voltage, but you'd probably need a modular synth to patch the via to modulate a pan/spread module.

As far as with a guitar, I can't think of a way to do other than either studio edits, operating a panner pedal manually or possibly building a custom box.

wedgehed

It seems like some of the BOSS multi-fx units should be able to do this. I know the GT series allow you to use playing dynamics to control fx parameters.

shoepedals

So, would you want the panning to increase in depth at a constant rate based on volume level, or are you asking to change the rate of panning based on volume, or are you asking to have the signal move from one channel to the other in synch with volume level?

chankgeez

Hey all,

Thanks!

Which song and at what point in the song are you hearing this?

Not sure what you are hearing on the record, but sure, you could do something like what you described with the right modular gear. Most important would be two VCAs.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
First you need to extract and envelope from the guitar playing and convert that into CV or midi control messages.

Then you need to apply that to the effect you want-a panner (for varying the rate with volume) or a mixer between right/left or a pair of VCAs for panning left to right with volume.

The first should be relatively easy, using something like the PN2 or the Guyatone Flip Tremolo and modding it slightly so the rate knob is controlled by CV. The second would be easy to set up with the Pittsburgh Modular Guitar Frame, and envelope generator and a pair of VCAs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom