Voltage Conversion 110 to 220

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by xroads, Aug 10, 2005.

1. xroads

xroads Member

So, I see all these nice boutique amp models being sold on the used market in the US, and I wonder if they can be run in Europe on 220V...

I know that I could hook it up to a power transformer, I would prefer not to do this though.

Now my question: can all of todays internal power transformers be rewired to run on 220V?
    If no, how can I find out which ones are, which ones aren't?

I know that I have a Bryston power amp that could not be changed in voltage without changing the internal transformers....

Thanks a ton in advance for your helpful hints!

Xroads

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

From what I've seen over the years, most US-made US-market amps are 110/120-only. They then often make special Export versions with multi-tap transformers for the rest of the world. There's a good reason - the US probably accounts for the large majority of their market, and multi-tap transformers are more expensive. Why increase the cost for all the users that won't need it?

I'm not sure this applies to the smaller manufacturers you may be talking about though.

However, a good step-down transformer is a useful piece of kit, and if you get a big one, it will do for any amp you're likely to use (or even a couple at once). I'd go for a minimum of 500VA - that's enough even for a 100W tube amp - and 1000VA if you can afford it. The only disadvantage (as you probably know) is the size and weight.

3. xroads

xroads Member

John,
    thanks, very informative.
    I have a converting transformer (2000VA moved between Europe and US twice...); it's heavy and makes some noise. I don't want to carry it around to all my gigs though.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

No, I can see why not... that's quite a big one ;).

What does that weigh? :eek:

5. xroads

xroads Member

John,
    weight is around 6 kilos. It converts 220 -> 110 and vice versa, and has some fuses in there as well. Maybe I just should get a 500VA one for portability, and get a US boutique amp....

6. FUSER

FUSER Member

What make is it and where did you purchase it?

Thanks.

7. xroads

xroads Member