Volume and tone pots

BrokenGstring

Hello
I recently had some work done to my guitar but I’m not happy with the volume pots. What I’m looking for are 500 K pots That have a smooth volume sweep. From 0 to 10. With no blow your ear off spot.
To me it’s so important to have that even sweep.
I have read up on Emerson but the thing I heard most was a flimsy feel and a really loose turn. I don’t like that. I know What I want I just don’t know how to go about getting it!
can someone recommend a brand?
Thanks

Timtam

There are many different audio (non-linear) tapers. You need to find the one that most accords with your preferences. If you have a pot that you like you can measure its taper with a multimeter.
guitar.com/guides/essential-guide/vintage-les-paul-tone-guide/
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1ivgZVFf4

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I like RS Superpots and have used them for years, but prefer the taper and feel of VIPots now.
Before switching to the VIPots I had RS kits in my guitars for years as well. The difference, to me, was very apparent.

dirtytony

Hello
I recently had some work done to my guitar but I’m not happy with the volume pots. What I’m looking for are 500 K pots That have a smooth volume sweep. From 0 to 10. With no blow your ear off spot.
To me it’s so important to have that even sweep.
I have read up on Emerson but the thing I heard most was a flimsy feel and a really loose turn. I don’t like that. I know What I want I just don’t know how to go about getting it!
can someone recommend a brand?
Thanks
every brand that fits your guitar is ok just make sure you buy Linear potentiometers

spentron

every brand that fits your guitar is ok just make sure you buy Linear potentiometers
No! Unless you really want a highly modified response. The exception would be if you spend all your time in the 8-10 range (with audio taper), e.g. if you use a fuzzface a lot (in which case uneven response wouldn't be the fault of the guitar or its pots). However even then this probably wouldn't extend to the tone control, it's possible you use that a lot at 8-10 too but this wouldn't be due to an external influence. The reason for using audio taper for a tone pot is more electronic than perceptual.

Another argument for using a linear volume would be the same as using them as a dirt pedal volume, that it's one of several volume controls and mostly is used in a limited range, but often it is working into sources of compression e.g. overdrive which can require larger changes in level to get the full range of results.

As to the original question, I've never noticed a problem with the taper in any guitar although I've seen when the range is limited by using the whole wrong value. If replacing, I'd go with pull pots....

dirtytony

No! Unless you really want a highly modified response. The exception would be if you spend all your time in the 8-10 range (with audio taper), e.g. if you use a fuzzface a lot (in which case uneven response wouldn't be the fault of the guitar or its pots). However even then this probably wouldn't extend to the tone control, it's possible you use that a lot at 8-10 too but this wouldn't be due to an external influence. The reason for using audio taper for a tone pot is more electronic than perceptual.

Another argument for using a linear volume would be the same as using them as a dirt pedal volume, that it's one of several volume controls and mostly is used in a limited range, but often it is working into sources of compression e.g. overdrive which can require larger changes in level to get the full range of results.

As to the original question, I've never noticed a problem with the taper in any guitar although I've seen when the range is limited by using the whole wrong value. If replacing, I'd go with pull pots....
here we go... mr knowitall is here

Trending Topics