Volume Box instructions

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by vangit, Feb 17, 2006.

1. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

Does anyone have instructions\diagrams on how to build a Volume Box? I keep hearing all the parts can be bought at Radio Shack, but I don't know how to build it?

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Depends how complicated you want it...

Just a volume knob in a box with two cables attached? Or jacks?

Footswitchable? With LED?

For in front of the amp or in the FX loop?

Pretty simple to build how ever you want to do it, and all the parts definitely are available from Radio Shack. At the very cheapest and simplest, you need: a small Hammond-type metal box; a pot (value depending on where in the rig you're going to put it), a knob and a short guitar cable, and two rubber bushings (do you call them 'grommets' in the US as well? :)).

Basically, no matter whether you're using captive cables (cutting a short guitar cable in half is the easiest way) or jacks, you need to wire it so that the input is connected to the CW terminal of the pot, the output to the middle terminal, and both grounds plus the pot casing to the CCW terminal.

If you're adding bypass switching, and maybe an LED, it gets more involved but still by no means difficult.

3. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

Thanks for wriring John.
    I just want to do a very basic volume box. I only knew about using it in the effects loop, unless you think it's better to use on in front of the amp? My intentions for it is to use my tube amp at lower volumes in my home.

I'm a decently handy guy. When I am shown somthing or have instruction to follow, I'm pretty good, though I am very unfamiliar with this. If I just print out this post and bring it to Radio Shack do you think they can help? Or do you know of any instructions\diagrams to follow?
    thanks alot,
    stu

4. g-nem

g-nem Member

There are forums for people who are into diy guitar stuff, like geofex.com or diystomboxes.com. But a volume box REALLY is easy to build- the hardest part is preparing the enclosure- drilling holes, etc. A lot of times poeple on those forums aren't intrested in something so basic (like someone coming on here and asking what the difference between OD and delay is) But if you've never soldered before, there are some things you'll need to figure out. Check out this link

http://www.geofex.com/buildfx.htm

There is a pdf on there that has way more info than you need but it might give you some confidence.

Check out this link for more info than you need on how to solder.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/how_to_solder.htm

And if you really want some help, buy craig andertons electronic projects for musicians. Note he also has a book for guitarists that isn't as informative.

Good luck.

5. aortizjr

aortizjr Member

It really isnt' that hard to do. But you will be better of buying one if you don't already have a lot of the tools. The parts are super cheap, but Soldering Iron + Drill + Unibit adds up quickly.

Here is a page that talks about it:

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/newland/2081/id3.htm

You can get all the parts at Radio Shack. I use one with my Hot Rod Deluxe and it works really well.

6. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.