Volume difference between tungsten mosaic vs champ 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JinX78, Feb 18, 2012.

1. JinX78

JinX78 Member

Lookin to upgrade to a new tweed style amp. Very interested in what Tungsten has to offer and considering the mosaic or crema wheat mostly for home use but may want to use for smaller "light" jam sessions too. I'm perfectly fine with champ 600 volumes and can go louder at home with no prob. Can someone tell me the volume/headroom diff between the champ 600 and let's say the mosaic 12" option? Also, crema volume vs mosaic?

Based off vids I love the crema but afraid it may be a little TOO loud to be able to hit the dirt at reasonable volumes for home...am I right in assuming this?

Thanks!

:huh

2. succor

succor Member

Good question! I'm interested in hearing the responses. I have a Champion 600 and I had the Crema Wheat. The Crema is quite loud for home use and the best sounds (to me) are had at about halfway and up. Because of this, I was very interested in purchasing the Mosaic. Just before placing an order, I emailed the guy at Tungsten to ask if he thought there was much of a volume difference between the Crema and Mosaic. He didn't bother to answer and I didn't bother to purchase.

Oh, using the Champion 600 for reference, the Crema is much, much louder :)

3. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

My experience gybes with succor's: the Crema Wheat is terrific at volume, but too much amp for home use in most circumstances.

4. JinX78

JinX78 Member

Thanks guys that's what I figured! No such thing as the perfect all around amp, ha? How abouts the headroom thing? Anyone?

5. JinX78

JinX78 Member

While I am at it, any volume comparisons with the Cortez, which comes in around 12 watts I think.

6. dapa78

dapa78 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Tungsten Cortez and a Vic 518. Can't say that the Cortez is much louder than the Vic, just fuller and more bottom end cuz of the 12" speaker. That said, I use a Swart Night Light on both when playing at home (I have a young kid that sleeps directly upstairs from the amps). Hope this helps.

7. JinX78

JinX78 Member

Thanks for the reply! Well it sounds like the Cortez, which is more wattage than the Vic, isn't that much louder from what your saying. That's great, cause I honestly would probably prefer the cortez. I'm just wondering ow much louder these amps are compared to a stock champ 600 for comparison. would you say these amps are similar in volume to a regular original design tweed champ? If that's the case, I can run down to GC to try a tweed champ out and make my own comparisons...

kenoflife likes this.
  8. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

I have a re-issue Fender 600 and a Mosaic 12"-big difference in volume when both are cranked. However, the Mosaic can sound very good at low volumes.