Volume drop after adding Hardwire CR7 chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Acciaccatura, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Acciaccatura

Acciaccatura Member

I've just bought a Hardwire CR7 chorus pedal. After adding it to my pedalboard, there was a noticeable decrease in volume. The volume decrease occurs when the pedal is on or off - If it's in the chain, I have to increase the volume a fair amount on my amp to hear any output. I've removed all other variables from the equation by comparing the volume of a direct connection between guitar and amp with just using the one pedal in the chain. I've also varied the patch cables: It's definitely the pedal causing the drop in volume.

I understand that any pedal will cause electrical resistance, but each of the other Hardwire pedals I own don't have this problem. Is this a known issue with this pedal, or do I have a bad one?

I'm using a Vox VT20+ amp and a Les Paul.

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Are you sure it's not the cable your addng when patching it in?

Do you get same problem when you go guitar>cr7>amp?

All it takes is one weak link to bring your tone to its knees, wether that be pedal itself or a cable.

3. Acciaccatura

Acciaccatura Member

Yes, I've tried all that: It's definitely the pedal.

4. sputnikshell

sputnikshell Member

Have your input signal go in through input 1(Mono) and have it come out through output 2. Try that and see if that makes a difference.

5. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

I had one of these and thought that there was a volume boost problem when it was engaged, so I sold it!

Maybe the actual problem was that it dropped my volume when not engaged, but when switched on, it went back up to unity gain instead!

In any case, the differing volumes when on or off would have both resulted in my moving it along I guess!

The thing is, these are true bypass (via relay switching), so I can't see how there can be a drop when it is off and in true-bypass mode.....?

Peace,

Rob.

6. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Make sure the internal buffer switch is off, and make sure you are using the mono in and mono out. The last part it the most important, I have heard reports of volume drops when connected to the incorrect ins and outs.

7. halfmanhalfgear

halfmanhalfgear Member

Hi Tom,

Just out of curiousity, does the chorus model actually have the true bypass / buffered bypass internal switch? -like the Delay and Reverb does? Because I don't remember mine having the switch and thought they were only there for the 'trails effect' on the Delay and Reverb models?

I'm pretty sure my Metal Distortion, the Stereo Phaser and Stereo Chorus pedals didn't have them (mine were badged 'Hardwire' and not the newer Digitech branding).

Peace,

Rob.

8. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Oh right, good catch - my insomnia is making me foggy and I got my models mixed-up. Ignore the comment about the internal switch, the rest still applies.

Sorry about that, got to get some sleep...

9. Acciaccatura

Acciaccatura Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I had a play about with it this evening and was at the point of returning it when I thought I'd run through the diagnosis steps again. Miraculously, it worked fine this time when running the guitar to the amp via only the chorus pedal.

I retraced how I'd mis-diagnosed it last time: I was pretty thorough, but I wasn't relying on the fact that I had not one, but TWO bad patch cables. Switching between the two bad cables lead me to believe the fault was with the pedal.

Looks like I have some re-soldering to do on the weekend!

Thanks.