volume drops with my "new" 80' pedalboard..help?

GalAtiya

alright here it is:
061f0689e6.jpg

ALL Arion! gotta love the tone it splashesh out. flanger, delay, od, chorus.

anyway. i m just back from a jam. i've experienced a few momentary volume drops. it acutually mutes for a few seconds and then back. kinda wierd. i had a a few minutes plugged only to the amp itself and it was all good..then again it's just a few minutes.
when i play at home i never get these drops - but i had this setup only for a week now.
so instead of risking my pedals with experiments, i thought to ask you guys what might be the cause. maybe some kind of electric overload? a bad resistor somewhere in one of these pedals? maybe it's a bad amp?

i power them all with a boss ACA adaptor from the 80' and they all sound sweet..it capable of producing 200 mA. i checked the pedals as far as i could (info is rare) and they don't seem to get near 200mA. also these drops didn't specificlly occured when i used them all simultaneously. even just the delay and OD (never happened at home. i got them a month before the other two..).

what u reckon guys?

cheers!

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like an input or output jack issue or a patch cable.

Hook it up at home and start wiggling everything while playing to try and repeat.

stinkfoot

The two prime suspects are cables and power. The cables include the jacks in the pedals, btw, so not only make sure the patch cables work on their own - lightly wiggle them about in the jacks, to see if there's one that causes the dropouts. Make sure there isn't any strain put on the plugs, as that will translate into the jacks, which are soldered straight to the circuit board (so a plug that is pulling in any direction can put a load straight on the solder joints).

Then there's the power thing. Some of the '80s Arions have the same type of diode/resistor network as the ACA Boss pedals, which means they expect more than 9vDC on the adapter jack. However, the limit isn't as big in the Arions, so they will normally work fine with 9vDC. Now, the Boss ACA adapter is unregulated, which means the voltage will vary not only with the load, but also that any fluctuations (or even brownouts) in the mains voltage will be mimicked by the adapter's output voltage. I'd probably want to use a regulated 9vDC supply instead, as it will maintain a stable output voltage (almost) regardless of what happens with the mains power.

chrisross

If it mutes immediately and snaps back on it sounds to me like a bad cable. If it sorta dies out and mutes it sounds like power.

johnkoz

my $$ is on one of teh pedals itself; had a similar problem w/my vintage arion analog delay

4b454e

Silver Supporting Member
Now, the Boss ACA adapter is unregulated, which means the voltage will vary not only with the load, but also that any fluctuations (or even brownouts) in the mains voltage will be mimicked by the adapter's output voltage.
Maybe this explains why my Boss 9V adapter (from the early '90s) shows 12V on my multimeter. I thought it was just its age...

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Nope, the Boss ACA adapters put out 12v UNLOADED, plugged into pedals it drops down to 9v. They're not regulated like modern power supplies are.

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
As a general rule, I always start by troubleshooting any cables with masking tape holding them together. :)

Seriously though, that sounds like a bad footswitch, jack, or cable...cable is the easiest to eliminate.

jb4674

1. Start testing one pedal at a time to find out the offending pedal
2. Get a regulated PSU
3. Get some decent cables

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Could be as simple as cable or power easy process is usebatteries and fresh cables.

Could be as complex as a leaky cap causing internal voltage fluctuation. I'm not an electrical engineer, but typing that seems impressive, to me anyway.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom