Volume increase when useing modulation pedals with distortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ollie13, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Ollie13

Ollie13 Member

I recently added a couple of distortion pedals to my board (Pro-co Rat 2 and TC Electronics Rottweiler). I previously used my amp's footswitch to go between clean and dirty but wanted to add a bit more variation to my tone. However, when I use a modulation pedal (I have a Boss BF3 Flanger and EHX Slammi pitch shifter) with either of my distortion pedals switched on, I get a huge jump in volume. I don't mind a small volume bump but this is really extreme. Neither of my modulation pedals have a volume control. I don't want to turn my amp or guitar down as then I'd be too quiet when the pedals are switched off. Does anybody know how I can solve this problem? Would it help if I added a compression pedal or are there any mods that I could do to the Slammi and BF3. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

Interested as well, subscribed...

3. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Some modulation pedals - specifically the type that adds to the dry signal (chorus/flanger) can sometimes appear to boost the signal. It is simply a function of the dry signal staying at 100% strength at all times, while turning the effect on adds that signal on top of the dry. But if the level change is very large, I'm usually more inclined to suspect an impedance problem. The RAT doesn't have an output buffer, so it is vulnerable to changes depending on what follows it. If it's the last thing that's active before the amp, all it "sees" is a long cable to the amp input. When you then kick in a pedal after it, that cable is suddenly shortened to just the length of patch cable going into that pedal. This can lead to the RAT becoming louder/brighter.

But... since the BF-3 is fully buffered, this shouldn't happen. So I can't say for sure what could be causing this. If you list the entire chain (in order), that might help.

5. Ollie13

Ollie13 Member

Thanks for the replies.

Stinkfoot - My entire chain is:
    Boss TU2 > TC Electronics Rottweiler > Pro-Co Rat 2 > Boss BF3 > EHX Sammi > EHX Memory Man Deluxe > Laney LV300 Amp

6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

I would try using the BF3 and Slammi before your distortion. I have the same issue with an analog chorus pedal and running it before my distortion smooths it out. The inherent compression in the distortion will reduce the volume jump. Part of the problem is that when an effect doesn't have an output buffer like many TB distortion pedals your impedance will shift radically causing these types of issues. Thru-Tone offers a mod to fix this issue with the OCD. It's interesting to note that Fulltone's Plimsoul has a 10K output so it plays "nice" with other pedals. I think they realized the issue that people had with the OCD and corrected it on the Plimsoul.

You can also try and place a dedicated buffer after your distortion pedal.