Volume pedal after compressor, right?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Feb 7, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I have my guitar going into my george dennis vp, which goes into my vht valvulator, and the compressor comes after the vht. It wouldn't make sense to put the vp before the compressor, since the compressor would try evening out the volume. I don't know?

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

You're right, the compressor would tend to cancel out any changes you made with the VP.

3. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

Sure. Depending on what your set up is and what you're trying do, I would suggest putting it after od/dist pedals. That way your dirt pedals dont get confused by the signal you're swelling. Its also cool putting it right before your delay so the swells get repeated even if you're heel down doing single note swells. Its reminds me of a faux ping-pong effect. But only if you're into that sort of thing. They are pretty forgiving the further you put them away from your guitar.

Enjoy!

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I've always used a Volume pedal in the effects loop with the modulation & delay pedals ... & a compressor in front of the amp (pre-amp)

5. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I use my amp for distortion, but I do like running the vp before my analogman delay for swells....and then running that into my replica :crazy

Would you recommend running the vp before or after the tube buffer?

6. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah. After. That makes the most sense to me. I've been interested in the valvulator for awhile now. Tell us how it works for you! Good luck!

7. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'd say try it both ways, and if one way sounds better, then use it like that.
    I think it would be almost impossible to predict whethere one way round would work better than the other.

8. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

My tech friend recommended the valvulator to give me a little more life before I hit my pedalboard. It's a great gadget, and it really does give you extra warmth/life, even when using a tube amp. I love using it when I can't use my amp, but want to run stuff through my firebox; the tube helps out a bit, but solid state pre-amps still sound like ass.