Volume Pedal Better than Ernie Ball

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by littlewing52, Feb 23, 2012.

1. littlewing52

littlewing52 Member

I have spent an hour trying to replace the stupid spring/string mechanism in my VP Jr. This thing's going in the trash. What's another comparable volume pedal that is better built?

2. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Goodrich L-120.. and I never looked back.

3. Campbelltoe

Campbelltoe Supporting Member

Hilton Volume. It's expensive, but you'll never have to buy another, or maintain it whatsoever. No moving parts, it's optical.

It also has an off-point set, and a tone circuit control on the bottom, so you can fine tune the frequencies that pass through it to you sound. Incredibly subtle, but incredibly useful.

Message me if you've got any Q's

4. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

Don't overpay for some fancy take on the same formula.

You want PASSIVE... go with Dunlop's DVP-1, which features the new, rock-solid "steel band drive," has killer range of motion and is built literally like a tank.

You want ACTIVE... Visual Sound's Visual Volume has you covered.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

then mail it to me, so i can take the 10 minutes to put the string on :rotflmao

there is a specific trick to it, though:

6. Dashface

Dashface Member

BOSS FV500. Reasonably priced, indestructible, doesn't **** with your tone, looks like something from Total Recall. All plusses.

7. chops612

chops612 Member

There is definitely a trick to it and the video is stupidly misleading and if all EB's had the sides cut out it wouldn't be an issue... I will say you will get nowhere with a "paper clip". Though I have to say I haven't played a better feeling and responding volume pedal, hence why I choose to work with them over others. The best options that are close though would be the Dunlop and Boss. They are still passive and can have the same negative tonal issues as the EB (there's no magic passive circuitry in there). The taper sweeps are a bit different too as the pot designs are all different. Try them at the store and see if they are for you, you might find yourself coming back to the EB!

Oh and PS, don't throw it away, I will take it ;)

8. blesscurse

blesscurse Member

Yes. The pedal is the video has access unlike an actual pedal. I ended up sending mine back to EB for a new string and new pot.

9. npfrs

npfrs Member

:agree

10. coreybox

coreybox Member

No actual experience with these pedals, but I've read reviews online of the steel band breaking. I was kind of scared off about its reliability.

11. IronChefChris

IronChefChris Member

dunlop. i can't see it breaking ever.

12. chops612

chops612 Member

Heard the first batch has issues, but they took care of all the customers that had issues and supposably all is good now.

13. ACE 4080

ACE 4080 Member

Morley Mini volume: its really cheap, Active so no tone suck, and it's optical just like the Hilton or the high end expensive pedals, it's also a REALLY small footprint even though it still doesnt feel awkward under your foot being so small

14. ibegofyou

ibegofyou Member

I really like the DVP1 for the price and durability

15. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

Plus 1 for the dunlop...I have gone through 4 ernies in the past year and the string kept breaking with little or no time to fix it, so when I went to guitar center they didn't have any of those so I picked up the dunlop thinking I would return it, but like others said, it is built like a tank and doesn't have the string issues, im sold for now

16. mwvm

mwvm Member

Dunlop. Best volume I've played.

17. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

If Tone Suck is an issue, get the Hilton. If Tone Suck doesn't bug you, get the Dunlop. I actually have both for different applications, and they work great.

18. larrysingtran

larrysingtran Member

I wore the pot out in the Goodrich- Which is even more of a pain to fix
    Boss is too big
    I broke the little metal strip in the Big Dunlop DVP1
    Morley volume sweep sucks

My solution for now...

Ernie Ball Jr. with Guitar Center Pro Coverage... It's the only thing Guitar Center has ever done right... Pay the extra $15 and when it breaks (and it will)... take it back and get a new one... I go through one about every 8-9 months, I just take it back and get a new one... Easy

19. chops612

chops612 Member

I think the main deal with the string problem with EB's is user maintenance. Comes along with a pedal that is fully exposed, but the accumulation of dirt and debris creates friction on the string, which over time can tear through it. I can honestly say I haven't broken a string yet and I have been playing these for over 10 years. Road trick I used in the studios to clean gear is to buy a dollar paint brush. You can literally dust off your board and inside nooks like wahs and volumes all while not messing up your knobs keeping it clean and in return your gear working longer. Another thing to note is that the newer EB's use a kevlar cord vs the older cotton style, which a pretty dam durable unless it is installed incorrectly or coated with crud.

20. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I've totally been using that paint brush cleaning method for awhile now. It's so easy and gets the job done so well.