volume pedal experiment... and a question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Woody777, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Woody777

Woody777 Member

I have an Ernie Ball volume pedal - the big, 250K, mono, passive model.

I put the pedal in a true bypass looper and played while taking the pedal in and out of the chain... definite loss of high end with the toe in the down position. No real surprise there... but what did surprise me is that I also lost some volume. And I suspect that the treble loss was due to the pot not quite getting full rotation in the tow down position.

So, I took the pedal apart... removed the spring and strings. I put it back in the loop and manual set the pot to full volume. No tone loss to my ears!

I think the issue was with my pedal specifically (although a lot of users report the same problem) because my pedal also never fully turned off in the toe up position.

Anyway, just an observation. I think the EB is a good pedal... if it's set correctly so that the pot rotates fully.

And here's my question: I want to use a volume pedal for swells. I plan to buy the 25K VP Jr. and run it first in line in my FX loop. I read a lot of threads where people said use a buffer before the volume pedal to compensate for tone loss. Is that necessary in an FX loop? Aren't FX loops already buffered?

2. Woody777

Woody777 Member

3. Woody777

Woody777 Member

hello... is this thing on?

:)

4. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I use the EB 6166 mono volume pedal in my loop and it works fine. Also, if you do need to use the volume pedal in front of the amp you can. I cant really think of a reason to use the 25k pot pedal unless you were running in front of the amp using super hot active pickups.

5. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I too hear tone loss with ALL the vol pedals I`ve tried ... even a pricey Goodrich
    Wanna hear a crazy experiment gone good ?

I use a TIP third hand pedal bolted onto the volume pot of my Barber launch pad .
    No volume pedal circuit ... just my toe raising and lowering the volume to the amp .Can`t get much more transparent than that !

6. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

Now that is thinking outside the box!!!

7. Woody777

Woody777 Member

Nice! I should hook one up to my amp :D

I ordered a VP Jr. 25K pedal. I can't believe my Guitar Center doesn't stock any EB volume pedals!

As long as the pot rotates fully, I can't hear any tone suck in my rig. And I really love the feel of the EB sweep.

EB states that the passive volume pedal should be used when the chain goes guitar > volume pedal. And the active pedal should be used if there is anything else in between, i.e. pedal, FX loop, preamp, etc.

The passive one definitely still works, but apparently the sweep gets weird? I dunno... just going with what hopefully will work best (mine will be in the FX loop).

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yep, the 25k version is what you want for effects loop usage.

9. eru

eru Member

It is? That's the first thing I thought of when I saw that thing... attach two of them to your favorite OD/Boost pedal and use it to get any level of OD at any volume. But, then I thought I was ridiculous... who wants to ride two pedals? Or, one on the volume w/ the gain set high and the guitar volume... still... needlessly complicated.

OP, Did you do a treble bleed mod to the volume pedal while you were in there... might help if you're losing tone when you turn it down...I think the passive ones work about the same as a guitar volume pot, but I don't know that since I've never even thought about using one.

10. Woody777

Woody777 Member

I don't care about tone loss when operating the pedal... I mean, I don't consider treble loss as you turn down the volume to be tone loss. My problem is different.