Volume pedal help needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wagster, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'm looking to get an Ernieball VP Jr but not so sure which version to get, 25k or 250k? Here's my signal path ( Suhr Koji comp with the buffer engaged, Mini Polytune, Strymon Mobius) In the loop of the Mobius is a Bogner Wessex, Bondi Sick AS, Bogner Burnley, volume pedal) out of the Mobius it goes to a MP Deep Blue Delay. The Mobius is set to true bypass.

Thanks!

2. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Don't quote me on this, but I think whether you have active or passive guitar pickups might have something to do with it.

Passive p-ups, 250k, active 25k

3. Wagster

Wagster Member

I've read that when running a buffer early in your signal chain that a 25k works best with passive pickups and when there is not a buffer present before the volume pedal a 250k is best. Is this correct or am I way off base?

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

what do you want the volume pedal to do?

if the idea is to control overall loudness then you want it after all the overdrives (and always buffered), in which case it needs to be 25k to have an even sweep.

frankly i don't see the use for a 250k volume pedal either way! even if it's up front before the overdrives you'd still want it after a buffer to prevent tone loss, which means it should still be 25k.

5. jchan

jchan Member

The opposite. If you want to control overall volume level at the end of your chain, and you will have at least one buffered effect on at a time, the 25K one is best at the end of the chain. If you want input volume to vary, like your guitar volume knob, then put it at the front of your pedal chain and use the 250K version.

I use my guitar volume for my input volume control to determine how much overdrive I get and use a 25K volume pedal at the end of the chain for overall volume control.