Volume pedal in an effects loop?

droptopt

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Bogner XTC and I want to do volume swells while in the overdrive channels. I don't want the amp to clean up like when I use the volume knob on my guitar. I want to make sure I don't loose my tone or levels to my effects processors.

Here is my setup:

Guitar plugged into wah pedal and then into the amp.

The effects loop is a series loop and goes to an RG-16 loop switcher that switches in a Hush unit, Rocktron Intellifex and Rocktron Replifex.

I have a Ernie Ball VP Jr. pedal. Is this a good pedal for this or are there better or more transparent pedals?

Should the pedal be added to a loop in the RG-16 so that when I'm not using that effect it is out of the signal chain? This seems to be a good idea but then I would have to have dedicated patches for this effect and I really don't want that if I can help it. I'm using a Rocktron All Access MIDI controller.

Where should it go in the signal chain of the loop?

Is there a certain kind of cable that is better to run from the loop to my volume pedal that is better than a guitar cable? I'm thinking 15-20 feet is what I'll need.

Thanks!

joel98z

I though about doing this as well, for volume swells.. I was going to put the volume as the last in the effects loop... That would seem most logical to me to meet those requirements.

droptopt

Silver Supporting Member
Been thinking about this and I wonder if it would be better before the effects processors in the loop.

Any more ideas?

Don't really know the effects unit you mention, but if you can move the FX-Loop of the Effects unit within the signal chain of the effects unit, you would get more flexability I would imagine.

Actually, do the effects unit(s) have an Expression Pedal input that allows you to control a volume effect within the effects unit?? that would mean less audio cables everywhere.

droptopt

Silver Supporting Member
Thought of that but I switch in either/or effects unit in depending on what I need. I also want to give a volume swell to my delay and let it repeat it and controlling the unit via MIDI would prevent that from happening I think.

Just heard about this and I think I'm going to try it.

http://soundsculpture.com/products/pt_volcano.htm

matt5150

Either U Know Or U Don't
Silver Supporting Member
Have an Ernie Ball EB Jr. on my board that is wired into my interface which goes to the loop.

It allows me to do volume swells and control my overall volume without gain loss which is what I think you are trying to accomplish.

fwiw, I have used it with my Ecstasy as well as my other amps and it works perfectly.

Matt

looks interesting, not cheap though.

As I said, sorry, I do not know those multi FX units so I was not sure if it were possible to have your usual FX and a volume block that could be tied to an expression pedal. I know this can be done on Line6 units, eventide and axe-fx...you just enable the voume effect before the delay to enable the volume swells into delays.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I wonder if an active or passive volume pedal would be better in the loop. Probably depends on the loop.

dcooper830

I use a Boss FV500L volume pedal in my effects loop with stellar results.

No tone suck or loss of high end when reducing volume with it.

I put the pedal BEFORE delay and reverb effects. This way delay repeats and reverb tails aren't cut off as I back off the volume.

It's great not just for volume swells.... but also just as an overall volume control. It really helps to be able to bring yourself up for certain riffs and solos when you need to stick out..... but then bring yourself back down when you don't want to drown out the singer or other band members.

I've been using a volume pedal in my effects loop for years. And I plan to for the rest of my music playing days. AFAIC it's the best way to go.

Trending Topics