Volume Pedal Linear Pot Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tremonti, Mar 18, 2008.

1. tremonti

tremonti Member

Ok...I would actually pay someone to answer this for me in detail. I simply just want to know what exact linear pot to put in my Ernie Ball VP Jr volume pedal to make my taper better for a midi expression application between my Ground comtrol pro and my G Major. I want to know the exact part to order because I have yet to be able to find an answer. Thanks!

2. tremonti

tremonti Member

Where are my TGP'ers on this one??? Please enlighten me!

3. Strat Kat

Strat Kat Member

I'd like to know this one too.

4. tremonti

tremonti Member

5. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

my guess would be 10K linear. if you're talking about plugging in an expression pedal into the ground control, check out the ground control's pdf manual online, it says "any" expression pedal will work.

a lot of nice MIDI gear with expression inputs can be calibrated (either on the ground control or G major) for the 'top' and 'bottom' of your exact pedal, regardless of it's actual impedance. so a lot of impedances will work, but you're right a linear taper would make more sense for MIDI messages.

i'd check out the ground control manual, there's a lot of info about the expression outs, and check out the G major to see if it can be calibrated to the pedal.

also, if you want to swap out the audio taper pot for a 10K linear, google "MIDI Expression DIY" there's a good link on instructables to swap out the pots, and how to wire them.

good luck!

6. tremonti

tremonti Member

I need a specific part number...every place people send me has a 1000 different pots to chooe from.

7. tremonti

tremonti Member

Pumps and a Bump

8. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

why not just contact DMC, TC or Ernie Ball ?
    they have pretty good customer support.. I'm in the same position as you, but flipping the switch inside the VP Jr. has helped a little..

9. tremonti

tremonti Member

The switch helped nothing for me. Ernie Ball claims I can't mod volume pot(of course), TC Elctronics doesnt respond to emails or answer phone calls, I have'nt tried DMC. This linear pot issue is really starting to piss me off. No one can tell me anything in detail as far as ordering the exact part number? I feel like I'm F#%k'n trying to find out how to order a space ship or something??? I mean no one is telling me sh-t except "clibrate the pedal and set up the G Major properly"...I've done that and no luck. Someone please just give me an exact part order number from a website that will work!!!!

10. tremonti

tremonti Member

11. tremonti

tremonti Member

12. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

652-PDB241E420K103B0

That is for a bourns 10k linear, look at the data sheet to see if it will work for you.

www.mouser.com

13. tremonti

tremonti Member

Thanks! Have you tried this on a Ernie Ball VP Jr for expression pedal increased gradual taper?

14. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

nope, just thought it would give you some sort of starting point for finding a part number.

15. tremonti

tremonti Member

16. tremonti

tremonti Member

17. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Talk to the tech guys at DMC. They have been helpful in the past.

18. tremonti

tremonti Member

DMC had no ideas...anyone else?

19. tremonti

tremonti Member

Ok...I played around with the min, mid, and max settings on the g major with the pedal a little more tonight. Try setting the min at 60, the mid and 60 and the max at 100. Seem to really help the gradual taper to where I'm acually satisfied. I will still try and buy a linear pot to replace the 250ohm log pot. That should do it!

20. tremonti

tremonti Member

Another update. TC Electronics offers the X-1 expression pedal...it is the only 25k ohm linear pot pedal that I know of that is made with solid aluminum and not cheap plastic. I am selling my Ernie Ball VP Jr and buying the X-1....it costs $129. I will update in near future when I receive and test to see if it is better than the current 250k ohm log pot in the VP Jr. Should provide a very smooth and gradual incremental taper that has much more effect through entire range.