Volume Pedal - Please Recommend One

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, Jan 29, 2006.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

I hear the Ernie Ball is a good pedal. But, some had problems with the tension string becoming loose and therefore making the pedal not operate properly. What do you suggest? Thanks

2. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Save up and get a Goodrich LDR2. You will never look back.

Best investment I made in years. M.E.

3. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Anything Goodrich - the short-term and long-term solution to volume pedals...

4. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

George Dennis volume pedals, I use the stereo version, very nice pedal.
    E.B.

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

If I were getting another volume pedal, it would be Goodrich or Hilton.

6. covert

covert Member

Second the George Dennis. Goodrich is way too much money for such a simple thing.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm probably tempting fate here, but...with my Ernie Ball

I've been using one regularly (carry to/from band practice in a backpack...where it can jostle open against other stuff in the bag), and I use it all the time, setting up at home too.

Never had a problem going on 2 years now.

I don't treat it all that gently. Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe some folks are rougher (you DO have think that the pedal is open inside...so don't JAM it in amongst other things..etc.).

Just my experience.

8. ABKB

ABKB Member

Keep hearing good things about Goodrich, and if I had the cash I would totally check em out. But (at least for now) I have had the same experience as StomBox with my EB. I do know too for a small price (I think $50), EB will rebuild the pedal. I know EB has a bad rep for tone suckage, but at least to my ears the new ones are greatly improved. I have an old one that is a huge tone sucker, but my Jr has no such problems. But YMMV.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That is really good to hear ABKB! You know how lots of times you wonder if you have a tone-sucker pedal in there, and it is such a subjective thing, that can be really subtle, but if you have an older one you can really hear as sucking tone, as opposed to the Jr then that kinda helps me trust my ears too. Because I can't really hear any noticeable loss of tone in mine.

I use mine after all my "input side" pedals. Does really well for controlling overall levels.

10. ABKB

ABKB Member

Agreed, tone suck is a subjective thing. For some even a tiny bit makes a huge impression, for others it is sometimes worth it depending on the pedal. I am sure there is a bit to almost every non TB pedal, but I have as yet to notice it in my rig (and I was very careful about it when I set my rig up). I CAN notice it with my old EB, but not the current Jr I have.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Unless I'm missing something, pots are resistive, they have the same resistance whatever the frequency.

What did you mean by your post? I think maybe I am misunderstanding your point.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've heard also that the Tuner Out jack will bleed tone if you use it on the Ernie Ball volume pedals.

I read that David Gilmour used a DeArmond 1602 (?) volume pedal, so I found one for $50 on eBay. It's in good shape overall, but I think it needs a new pot or an adjustment. The volume floor is not silent (muted), and the last 45% of the pedals throw on the opposite end of the spectrum does not cause a discernable increase in volume. I bet a new pot would do it. I wonder what kind it uses and if a local place that sells Dr. Zs and a bunch of boutique pedals could do the fix. Or I could ask Bob McBroom, that'd be cool... might need to send him my wah, too.

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I suppose it is theoretically possible it could bleed tone, but a couple of things. First, I can't hear a difference but I haven't specifically tried listening for it, and this is one of those things you can A/B pretty well, just trill a note and pull out the jack, plug it back in. So I probably ought to check it out. But I haven't noticed tone-sucking.

Now, it also would depend what you have hanging off the tuner jack.
    Thing is, several folks mention that the Boss TU-2 has great buffers on it.
    Still, using it inline IS different than using it parallel (which is what the Tuner out effectively is....it is always on/available so it is hanging off a parallel path to the normal signal path. Could have some effect I guess.

Personally, I haven't noticed any detrimental tone-suckage.

For the other thing you mention, I think all volume pedals I've had experiences with have that "no noticeable diff after that point" either at the top or bottom of their travel...after a point. My EB pedal has a switch to choose if you 1) get the main surge of volume at the beginning, tapering off after that so less change or 2) gradiates well up to a certain point and then surge of volume at the last little bit.

I don't think I would buy a pedal because David Gilmour has it, (or any known guitarist really) unless I knew for a fact (and how would I?) that they just use it stock, because those guys all have equipment techs that tweak, maintain, and mod them. On some pedals, they may get a bunch and choose the one gem out of a bunch. In any case, they may mod the pedals, etc. So, the pedal WE get is in many cases not the same pedal at all.

I still have an old "Sho-Bud" pedal (originally made for pedal steel guitars) that I have used since the early 70's...just waiting for that string to break, but it still works, is silent, (a little big though), simple, and works great. But I retired it.

14. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I used to have an Ernie Ball and I noticed a lot of tone suckage.

I have a Goodrich H10K now, with zero.

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm not doubting you, but wondered how long ago it was you had the Ernie Ball, and also if it was a "Jr." or not?

It was mentioned upthread that someone here had an older version and they did suck tone, but now has a Jr. and it is minimal if at all.

There is another thing that struck me...I wonder if "tone suckage" happens more on any vol pedal when used right after the guitar, rather than further down the line? I use mine after some buffered pedals (I keep accidentally hitting gg instead of ff, first writing "buggered pedals" which I then find hilarious and have to correct. Just a warning, I'm going to forget to check one of these days and it'll go out "buggered pedals" ) and that may be why I don't notice tone problems.

16. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I was just going to make a similar query.

17. ABKB

ABKB Member

That was me. Yep, I got an old EB, dont know what year but I bought it used in like 95. Tried it out last in my chain and oh man, it was clearly sucking the life out of my tone, so I removed it. But when they came out with the Jr a couple years back I bought it (put it last in my chain again) and could not hear any suckage at all. I'm happy.

18. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

I've had no problems with my Crybaby volume pedal, put at the very end of the chain.