Volume pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by frankencat, Feb 1, 2008.

1. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

I want to try using a volume pedal in two different scenarios. The first would be in my P&W band where I want to use it for swells and general control between my pedal board and amp, especially when playing slide. The second would be in my R&R band where I would like to use one in my fx loop to control the overall volume of the amp and not affect the input going into the front of the amp. I have a Boss FV-200 which is low impedance I believe and does not work well between the guitar and amp. It doesn't sound terrible but I lose some signal and it is very noticeable. I think it would be fine in the effects loop of my amp but I need to try it and see. So my questions is, do I need to but another pedal for going into the front of the amp and if so what do you guys recommend? I have been looking at the EB stuff and have used them sparingly over the years but I really can't remember if they are any good or not. I really don't want any tone suck and would rather live without it if that's the case. The other part of my question is, is there any pedal out there that would work in both situations? Thanks -Frank :)

2. Guitarplayerdan

Guitarplayerdan Member

Goodrich, maybe the even the new better volume pedal boss came out with the fv-500. I think. JUST STAY AWAY FROM ERNIE BALL.

3. ruach1

ruach1 Member

I've been VERY happy with my Visual Volume (10th anniv. ed.). It can be set to both active and passive, so it should work in whichever situation you have in mind. In A/B tests, I detect no tone suckage. It is easily the most used pedal on my board, especially in P & W, where being able to dial in an exact volume with my foot, while my hands are busy making music, is invaluable.

JRT

4. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

Exactly. So is there one that works just as well in the loop as in front of the amp?

5. vhollund

vhollund Member

Ive got a Hilton , wich is pretty good
    But I still keep it in a looper

If you are planning on running it in a effects loop I would recommend A Boss

6. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I have both the Boss FV 50L & 300L.... Even after buffered pedals I lose the 'sparkle' of my guitars :(

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

frankencat - try sticking a buffered (Boss-type) pedal in front of the volume pedal when you run it up front. It doesn't work 100% with all pedals, like LouRossi discovered - you may need to try a couple, until you find one with low enough output impedance.

I have an FV-300L that works great in that application, but with the odd Boss-type pedal, it will lose a little top end. Swapping the buffering pedal for another will usually clear things right up. Not all buffered pedals have the same output impedance (not even those from the same manufacturer)...

/Andreas

8. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I use a Boss FV500H in front of my amp and love it. I use dirt in front and delay after and its great. When you do swells the tail of the delay stays with the notes and its alot of fun. Not sure about the fx loop.

9. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Is there any top end loss? I'll have to try what Andreas suggested for the 300L. Right now I'm running a Boss CS-2 & Keeley Rat into the volume pedal and then to the delay

10. Soothsayer

I dont notice top end loss. You might want to give the 500H a try. I would take your 300L to your local music store and do a compairison. I bought the 500H based off of reviews, when doing the research I noticed some folks had issues with impedance which is why I went with the 500H.

11. Soothsayer

I tried to get the info from Boss to no avail.

A common theme in all the reviews I read was if you are not sure about what you are going to run in front of it, go with the H.