Volume pedal questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tacoma5050, Oct 9, 2006.

1. tacoma5050

tacoma5050 Member

I am looking for a durable low noise volume pedal to use in my effect loop for solo’s. Will that work there? I want to use it in the efx loop because I don’t want to alter the gain/OD/tone/etc, I just want more volume for a solo. I have already looked at boosters like the RC, but I am considering a volume pedal to allow a little more control. Any suggestions on a good one?

I would prefer one that did not color my sound much and maybe has a true bypass.

What are the pros n cons of passive vs. active volume pedals?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Never heard of a true bypass volume pedal. Most of them don't even let you turn them off and most are very transparent. The Ernie Ball Jr low impedance should do it for you.

3. tacoma5050

tacoma5050 Member

Thanks, I looked at the EB pedals, they have two:

VP Junior 25K: The potentiometer has a 25K ohm resistance suitable for the audio path of active electronic instruments.

VP Junior 250K:The potentiometer has a 250k ohm resistance suitable for the audio path of passive instruments.

Would I want the 25k one if I were to use it in the EFX loop?
    My amp is a Peavey Classic 30(el84's)

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

They aren't true bypass to my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but even in the effects loop you could put the volume pedal through a true bypass looper (loop-master, WOBO, etc.). I imagine it would make less difference in the effects loop than in front, but I have read that there is a slight high-end loss with these pedals noticable when they are at maximum volume compared to bypass.

5. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

25K for low, 250K for high. But make sure your loop is low. Not all are.

6. tacoma5050

tacoma5050 Member

I found out the spec's for my EFX loop, they are:

Send:Impedance- 1K Ohm or greater
    Nominal output level- -6 dbV, 0.5 V RMS

Return: Impedance- 2 M Ohm
    Designed input level- -6 dbV, 0.5 V RMS

So I assume, I should use the 25k vol pedal in the loop, not the 250k, correct??

7. Meat Head

Meat Head Member

I used a EB 6166 in my fx loop for a while. It worked great. It seemed very transparent to me. The EBs are really solid pedals with great feel. If they're good enough for Steve Morse they gotta be more tha I need.:D

8. radcliff

radcliff Member

I really like my EB Jr., I don't notice a tone problem at all.

9. landru64

landru64 Member

in a low impedance fx loop, tone might be less of an issue. taper may still be, since you want control at the top of the range. for the high impedance applications i've been exposed to, taper is a real problem with the ernie balls. haven't used a low impedance eb. i use a new boss FV500L in my fx loop, or after my buffer and it's a great pedal. taper is great. i prefer the feel and construction and lightness of it compared to even the goodrich i have owned. i use it specifically as a volume control for situations like musicals when i need to change my volume on the fly without changing my tone.

10. Meat Head

Meat Head Member

I don't know about the EB Jrs, but the 6166s have a taper switch behind the jack plate....

11. tmuka

tmuka Member

Yes, the JR has the switch too :) very useful for setting to taste for volume swells on clean or gainy tones...