Volume Pedal Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by js5255, Feb 7, 2012.

1. js5255

js5255 Member

Honestly, I don't really know the differences and advantages of different volume pedals but I need one. Whats good TGP?

Thanks!

2. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

A lot of people don't like them, but the VP Jr. works great and has never failed me. Just keep a buffer between it and your guitar.

3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

depends on what you're using it for...

if it's for swells, i'd say a Goodrich... if you want to use it to control your overall volume level, you can't beat the Visual Volume (has 10 LED's to show exactly how much volume you're using)... Ernie Ball's are a good pedal, but have issues with the string breaking sometimes...

I've had my Visual Volume for over 2 years now and i love it... built like a tank, works great for everything i need

4. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Ive had an earnie ball jr for a couple years...works well and no breakage (dont gig, pedalboard basically sits on my basement floor)

As long as I do NOT put a tuner in the tuner out, it does not change tone...I also have buffered pedals before and after it...

5. js5255

js5255 Member

I mainly want the pedal so that I can dial in a tone on my guitar and simply raise and lower the volume of the overall sound without affecting the tone. Thats sort of the purpose of a volume pedal no? Swells also sounds cool...

6. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

problem is, dropping or raising volume will ALWAYS affect your tone...your perception of bass will change...

imo, volume is one of the most important aspects of guitar tone...it doesnt have to be at damaging levels...but it needs to be a bit loud

I also use my EB jr as a master volume...easier than walking over and adjusting the amp...and the quieter it gets, the crappier the tone imo

7. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

I've been using the EB VP jr for a long time and I like it, just don't use the tuner out. I think if I didn't care about real estate on my board I would probably get the Visual sound volume pedal, and if I didn't care about price there are some great ones that are super expensive that I don't even bother looking at cause I'm not gonna pay that much for a volume pedal. All depends on your needs.

8. whattheadam

whattheadam Member

Stock gear page answer: whatever is the hardest to aquire/most expensive. :bonk

In my opinion, I think the Dunlop DVP-1 is the best for the money. It's virtually indestructable, sounds great, and has a steel band drive instead of a piece of kevlar/whatever thread and will not snap during a performance. I have had one for over a year and have not had so much as a minor hiccup from it as far as reliability or stability.

9. echoes90

echoes90 Member

Boss FV500. Built like a tank, the only problem may be that they're quite big.

10. juanbono6030

juanbono6030 Member

11. alberob

alberob Member

I just got a Boozter De'Boozter made by Aleksander Niemand .It is the coolest volume pedal I have ever had the pleasure to use. It is clean boost active volume pedal that can be set for whatever amount of cut or boost you need.You can run it flat or in the Clarify setting which changes the EQ from mid boost in the all out position and as you lower the volume it brings up the Bass like a loudness control[read no tone suck]. I am still putting it through its paces and will get back to the forum when I have played with it some more.

12. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Where can I find more info on this pedal of which you speak? :huh

How does one order such a volume pedal?

13. alberob

alberob Member

Contact Vacuum Voodoo with a PM. he is a member here.:hiP

14. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

I also like the dunlop dvp1. Is very large heavy pedal so if you want it on your board make sure it's big enough to handle this beast. Used to use those ones with the string and they just kept breaking and other issues like massive tone suck, so I dumped them for the dvp1 which is really durable and great for swells. No more broken string in the middle of a gig lol and no noticeable tone suck either.

The only thing is dunlop was supposed to offer a low cost and easily replaceable steel band drive unit for the dvp1, so you wouldn't have to bring it in for repairs or buy a new vol pedal if the steel band drive broke, you could just fix it yourself, but I've yet to hear anything about its release.

15. teleclem

teleclem Member

I use and recommend the Goodrich pedals. I have the active one but the passive is good as well. Pretty sturdy and the sweep is right.

16. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Originally Posted by alberob
    I just got a Boozter De'Boozter made by Aleksander Niemand .It is the coolest volume pedal I have ever had the pleasure to use. It is clean boost active volume pedal that can be set for whatever amount of cut or boost you need.....[cut]
    You will find all relevant info here:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=940764

For ordering just PM me or email via my profile.