Volume pedal to control gain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by onemanbland, Mar 26, 2008.

1. onemanbland

onemanbland Member

Am I crazy? Will this work?
    I've searched for just about everything that I can think of for this, and came up with nothing.

My dillemna at the moment is that I'd really like to roll the volume back on my guitar to clean up whatever overdrive or fuzz that I'm using at that moment. The problem is that my Gretsch Power Jet has a huuuuuuuge tone loss when I roll back the volume. While it does clean up the gain a little, it's basically like rolling the tone all the way down on a Strat or Tele, which is definitely not what I'm trying for.

I could do a treble bleed mod on the guitar, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. My question is - if I had a volume pedal before the o/d (ZVex BoR), and swept the volume down, would this clean up the gain? I'm thinking that it will/should, but I don't want to spend $100 to find out that I'm wrong.

2. onemanbland

onemanbland Member

3. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I think it would work. Try or buy a volume pedal from a store you can return it to, just in case.

4. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Yes, it will work. The volume pedal will act like a volume pot on your guitar. You may want to try one with a minimum volume setting on it so that heel down is your rolled back volume and toe down is full on.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yes, a volume pedal will do what you want it to.

6. onemanbland

onemanbland Member

This is really great news. Thanks so much, guys.

Now just having to decide which volume pedal to go with...

7. Dave Orban

I have the large Ernie Ball pedal, which I've been using for a couple of years.

Some guys complain that it sucks tone, but I honestly haven't found it to be a problem. Love having the Tuner output jack, for silent tuning with the pedal in the "off" position.

I also picked up a Goodrich pedal, a couple of months back, but I have yet to gig it, so I can't comment.

But the Dunlop pedal I had was not that great, IMO...

8. onemanbland

onemanbland Member

Well, that definitely helps matters. I was thinking about the EB Jr, and had read about the top end cut, but to be honest I'm not much of a tone purist...
    For the price, it sounds like that might do the trick!

9. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I have the EB jr.......so do many pro studio and touring artists....it could be considered an industry standard.

You can't go wrong with the EB Jr.

10. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

+1. Bulletproof and sounds great. Looks good too :)

11. Brownface

Brownface Member

I've used the EB pedal for a few years also, and I use it for that task all the time. The tuner out IS great. You won't have to run your tone sucking tuner in your pedal chain anymore. I haven't played through all the V pedals in the world, but I've always been able to rely on it. I run it at the very beginning of my chain too.

12. Dave Orban

Do what I do... plug the pedal in, and THEN adjust your tone to your liking.

It's a no-brainer, really.

13. ?&!

?&! Member

+1!!! Almost anything that you put between your guitar and amp will change your tone somewhat. You just need to methodically adjust EQ and pedal order to compensate for whatever the changes are. I use the EB Jr., and I've read all the tone-sucking threads about it, and I've read about how horrible using a tuner-out is. Some people (people who must have better hearing than I do) can't deal with these things, but I can. It's bulletproof, and it will do exactly what you want it to. Don't forget to experiment with the internal switch to get the sweep to your liking. Good luck!!!

14. d-b

d-b Member

If you just want the volume pedal to roll back the gain you should be fine. I noticed a loss of highs wih my EB and my amp's highs don't sound good past a certain point so this was a big deal to me.

If you do a lot of volume swells with it you may notice that the EB does not have the smoothest taper. The increase and decrease of volume is not very linear and seems to jump suddenly especially just before full up.

I like goodrich.

15. musicman1

musicman1 Member

It should work as long as the volume pedal comes BEFORE your gain source whether its pedals or amp overdrive. Just keep your gtr volume full up and let the pedal back off the level.

FWIW, I also use a EB 6166 vol pedal and I dont notice any loss of tone but as d-b mentioned it is not THE absolute best for a completely smooth taper.

16. onemanbland

onemanbland Member

I think this is totally going to work to my advantage, anyway! I play through a pretty bright amp (the Bassman 4x10 reissue), and I normally have the Treble and Presence way down, so I can just compensate by bringing those up a little bit.

Plus I just replaced all my cabling with Lavacable, and that brought a LOT more clarity and high-end back into my signal. No more amp blanket!

Thanks for the help guys - I think I'm going to go with the EB Jr.

17. planetal

planetal Member

+1

I use a volume pedal at gigs all the time.. I use the vol/tone on the guitar more for setting the tone for a particular tune (I try to use adjust the tone to fit whatever particular tune we're doing. Might have just been the one ernie ball jr pedal I used, but it did not sound or feel right.. I've used the large ones for years with no issues. I might have had a defective eb jr pedal, don't know as I returned it.

Al

18. onemanbland

onemanbland Member

About tone suck:
    I've ordered an EB VP Jr., so now I'm wondering - would it be best to have this after the Whammy on my board? The Whammy's TB, so I'm hoping that this might alleviate any potential high-end loss from the VP Jr.

19. onemanbland

onemanbland Member

20. Dave Orban

I prefer my volume pedal right after the guitar...